Sign in to follow this  
JACK

Tissue Resistance to Arrow Penetration

I'm not sayin it can't be done, I'm just sayin it can be done better

Do you guys read stuff or just get pissed if someone doesn't agree with you?

Go back to last year and look at all of the elk in the lost and found box. How can that be fixed? I said placement is the most important thing. What is the answer? I am not an archery hunter because I don't have the time to dedicate to practice needed to be successful. Do you all have any ideas to reduce the number of lost elk?

Azkiller this is a post you made from your earlier thread in "bigger gear for bigger animals." You state your not a archery hunter in this quote but you say you've killed 4 animals with a bow?...please explain. And explain how you know so much about how to kill efficiently with archery equipment while you're at it please.

I'm not an archery hunter anymore and I have not hunted archery for about 18 years. I have only killed three rats and a grasshopper with a bow.

I'm not sayin it can't be done, I'm just sayin it can be done better

Do you guys read stuff or just get pissed if someone doesn't agree with you?

Go back to last year and look at all of the elk in the lost and found box. How can that be fixed? I said placement is the most important thing. What is the answer? I am not an archery hunter because I don't have the time to dedicate to practice needed to be successful. Do you all have any ideas to reduce the number of lost elk?

Azkiller this is a post you made from your earlier thread in "bigger gear for bigger animals." You state your not a archery hunter in this quote but you say you've killed 4 animals with a bow?...please explain. And explain how you know so much about how to kill efficiently with archery equipment while you're at it please.

Dont think for a minute there isnt the same amount coming out of rifle hunts. I can't even tell you how many 'hunters' have told me they missed and when you talk to them a little further you learn they never even went to look for blood. They just assumed because it ran away it wasn't hurt. The problem is wouldcraft and ethics (or lack thereof), not choice of equipment.
  • Like 2

First off, these arent guns and bullets, this is archery. A 60 or 70 yard shot is usually the maximum out here. A small pin gap and flatter trajectory to minimize miscalculations is more important than penetration, not that penetration isnt important.

Heavy and slow will win over fast and light once you reach a certain distance. This is my theory in guns 100%. I would take a 200 gn bullet out of a 308 at 2500 fps anyday over a 150 gn bullet at 3000 fps. This is because of the downrange energy and better areodynamics. That being said, archery is very different.

Penetration is overrated in the archery world. Why would a guy boast that he shot a deer and buried the arrow 12" in the dirt behind it? What good does the arrow do in the ground behind the animal? If a 400 gn arrow will end up on the ground 2" in the dirt but a 500 gn arrow will end up 12" in the dirt, which arrow made the deer more dead?? Neither...

The other factor here is, does the arrow stuck in the chest cavity of an elk kill quicker than an arrow that passed through? The answer...yes. the blood trail might not be as good but it will still suffice. What doesnt kill an elk is a slow heavy arrow with too much trajectory that was misjudged by 5 yards.

All this leads up to this conclusion. A 390 gn arrow traveling at 310 fps will have less drop, very ample penetration to kill any animal, and less chance of error in the event you didnt have a rangefinder or time to range the animal, which happens. It has a significant advantage in time in flight which again is a huge factor in the archery world at 60 yds.

LMAO...you just made my barley pop come out my nose "penetration is overrated in the archery world" thats the funniest dumb thing I've ever heard! I'll take 12" of dirt penetration every day over my arrow getting packed off by any critter. Besides arrows are easier to find when they are stuck in the dirt...thanks for the chuckle

• Like 1

so does an ample supply of poison...but it doesn't leave a blood trail

First off, these arent guns and bullets, this is archery. A 60 or 70 yard shot is usually the maximum out here. A small pin gap and flatter trajectory to minimize miscalculations is more important than penetration, not that penetration isnt important.

Heavy and slow will win over fast and light once you reach a certain distance. This is my theory in guns 100%. I would take a 200 gn bullet out of a 308 at 2500 fps anyday over a 150 gn bullet at 3000 fps. This is because of the downrange energy and better areodynamics. That being said, archery is very different.

Penetration is overrated in the archery world. Why would a guy boast that he shot a deer and buried the arrow 12" in the dirt behind it? What good does the arrow do in the ground behind the animal? If a 400 gn arrow will end up on the ground 2" in the dirt but a 500 gn arrow will end up 12" in the dirt, which arrow made the deer more dead?? Neither...

The other factor here is, does the arrow stuck in the chest cavity of an elk kill quicker than an arrow that passed through? The answer...yes. the blood trail might not be as good but it will still suffice. What doesnt kill an elk is a slow heavy arrow with too much trajectory that was misjudged by 5 yards.

All this leads up to this conclusion. A 390 gn arrow traveling at 310 fps will have less drop, very ample penetration to kill any animal, and less chance of error in the event you didnt have a rangefinder or time to range the animal, which happens. It has a significant advantage in time in flight which again is a huge factor in the archery world at 60 yds.

LMAO...you just made my barley pop come out my nose "penetration is overrated in the archery world" thats the funniest dumb thing I've ever heard! I'll take 12" of dirt penetration every day over my arrow getting packed off by any critter. Besides arrows are easier to find when they are stuck in the dirt...thanks for the chuckle

Glad you got a kick out of it! Now maybe reread and try to understand the point. If a 400 gn arrow gives plenty of penetration to achieve the desired pass through, why go to a 500 gn arrow? To get more penetration and a slightly less noisy bow right? Please tell me what more of a pass through achieves for you? When hunting, Accuracy and arrow time in flight are far more important than over penetrating! Faster flatter arrows are more accurate. That is why target/3d shooters shoot IBO weight arrows.

First off, these aren't guns and bullets, this is archery. A 60 or 70 yard shot is usually the maximum out here. A small pin gap and flatter trajectory to minimize miscalculations is more important than penetration, not that penetration isn't important.

Glad you got a kick out of it! Now maybe reread and try to understand the point. If a 400 gn arrow gives plenty of penetration to achieve the desired pass through, why go to a 500 gn arrow? To get more penetration and a slightly less noisy bow right? Please tell me what more of a pass through achieves for you? When hunting, Accuracy and arrow time in flight are far more important than over penetrating! Faster flatter arrows are more accurate. That is why target/3d shooters shoot IBO weight arrows.

Oh I understand but I won't drink the speed Kool Aid! Accuracy has absolutely nothing to do with arrow weight. If your arrows are going 320fps you would still be 780+fps to slow to be faster than the speed of sound, So Yeah! I'll take a quieter bow. I'm not going to use just enough to get the job done...kinda like when I fill my tank I don't put in just enough to get me where I'm going. Alittle extra never hurt

• Like 1

the only reason 3d folks shoot light is the lack of range finders to reduce estimation errors. I use a range finder. In all other venues of target archery they do not run IBO weight arrows to have the most forgiving setup from wind drift and other variables suck as kiss outs.

Even in 3d they run the heaviest arrow they can at the speed they want to shoot. (ASA has a 297 fps Speed Limit)

http://goldtip.com/newsdetail.aspx?id=73%20&type=1

I'll worry about this when my arrows start bouncing off of animals. As of right now my 428gr. arrow coming out of the bow at 315fps have a satisfactory trajectory and penetrate just fine.

What's your set-up?

70lb. (actually scales at 72lbs. maxed.) Bowtech Insanity CPX 30" draw, Easton axis 340's

I tried some Black Eagle Rampage arrows that were 8.2gpi. vs my axis 340's 9.5gpi. it shed about 38grains and bumped my speed up into the 320's. (verified on 2 separate chronographs.)

post-6055-0-65755200-1398879902_thumb.jpg

post-6055-0-32250800-1398879914_thumb.jpg

post-6055-0-14708700-1398880089_thumb.jpg

30" draw. That's the factor I was looking for. Nice set-up.

Thanks,

Doing the math I actually lost a couple lbs of K/E running the lighter/faster shafts. I figured since I already had a whole pile of axis shafts that my sight tape was already dialed to, 315fps is plenty fast and flat plus they would be a little kinder to my limbs by not pushing the 5gr. per lb. rule of thumb it was the way to go.