Sign in to follow this  
JACK

Tissue Resistance to Arrow Penetration

Guest 300ultramag.

dont forget anatomy also........... how much force does it take to cut or nick an artery? not much....

its like Coues n sheep says......... its what you do after the shot........ be patient!!!!!!!!

so you guys are these fast flat shooting arrows, must be getting perfect scores on all the 3d shoots. I mean if there's no difference really from one pin to the next then you must be shooting in the vitals every time. as it's been said before, shot placement is by far the most important thing, however, if it does not penetrate it does not matter. saying that penetration does not matter is the dumbest thing I have heard ever.

I remeber when bow companies were bragging about 200 FPS IBO. Many elk and deer were killed with those bows.

I'll worry about this when my arrows start bouncing off of animals. As of right now my 428gr. arrow coming out of the bow at 315fps have a satisfactory trajectory and penetrate just fine.

• Like 1

I wouldn't get caught up in that article.... The penetration of your arrow into an animal should not be over-defined by a wikipedia drag-force equation. There are a ton of factors that play inside the control volume for this physics problem: broaden surface area, arrow weight, and angle of penetration are just a few.

And while there is a resistance force exterted on your arrow at the point of contact, the most important factors contributing to arrow penetration are: 1) Shot placement 2) Sharp broadheads

I'll worry about this when my arrows start bouncing off of animals. As of right now my 428gr. arrow coming out of the bow at 315fps have a satisfactory trajectory and penetrate just fine.

What's your set-up?

so you guys are these fast flat shooting arrows, must be getting perfect scores on all the 3d shoots. I mean if there's no difference really from one pin to the next then you must be shooting in the vitals every time. as it's been said before, shot placement is by far the most important thing, however, if it does not penetrate it does not matter. saying that penetration does not matter is the dumbest thing I have heard ever.

The one and only time I did a 3d shoot (smoker course Bh happening when it was at sunrise) I scored horribly. I did not know to shoot at the 10 ring on angle shots and aimed to where my arrow would go through the vitals which did not score well. My 7.5 GPI arrow has yet to bounce off an animal and even has a few pass threws on big game animals. If I am aiming at the shoulder on a large bodied animal than penetration is very important, but I will not do that intentionally.

Having read your comments here and in the previous thread on fast rigs, it seems pretty obvious that you're trolling, but that's ok, i'll bite. have you ever actually killed or even seen an animal killed by an arrow? Do you know anything at all beyond internet bs, say frompractical experience? Ive killed quite a few animals with arrows that were middle weight at medium speeds. These guys are nowshooting arrows that are the same weight or heavier, plus about 30-40 fps from my 6 year old bow. Thats a ton more energy than needed. These 'fast flat' arrows you continue to harp on have way more than whats needed. If it makes you feel better to lob 1000 grain cedar logs at 150 fps, knock yourself out, but dont be stupid enough to think every single other person with a bow is misguided and you're the only one that has it right. Kids and ladies kill elk with 250 grain arrows off of 40 lb bows all the time. You put one in the right spot, it doesn't take much to get lungs. Period. Buh-bye.

• Like 1

Having read your comments here and in the previous thread on fast rigs, it seems pretty obvious that you're trolling, but that's ok, i'll bite. have you ever actually killed or even seen an animal killed by an arrow? Do you know anything at all beyond internet bs, say frompractical experience? Ive killed quite a few animals with arrows that were middle weight at medium speeds. These guys are nowshooting arrows that are the same weight or heavier, plus about 30-40 fps from my 6 year old bow. Thats a ton more energy than needed. These 'fast flat' arrows you continue to harp on have way more than whats needed. If it makes you feel better to lob 1000 grain cedar logs at 150 fps, knock yourself out, but dont be stupid enough to think every single other person with a bow is misguided and you're the only one that has it right. Kids and ladies kill elk with 250 grain arrows off of 40 lb bows all the time. You put one in the right spot, it doesn't take much to get lungs. Period. Buh-bye.

Well stated and true

and by the way, if for some reason you don't get the lungs, you have another elk wandering around that will die a slow miserable death. And then you'll go out and shoot another one.

and by the way, if for some reason you don't get the lungs, you have another elk wandering around that will die a slow miserable death. And then you'll go out and shoot another one.

I would say that's the case regardless of penetration. A poor shot is a poor shot. Which only leads back to the argument of a flatter trajectory aiding in range miscalculations, the animal moving after release, etc. At the end of the day, I dont think there is a right/wrong answer. It comes down to personal preference and comfort level. I personally do not shoot a fast bow well. I bought a brand new fast one last year and sold it off within a couple months, going back to my older slower bow because I, personally, shoot better with it. That's me. I know some others that are human shooting machines and can drive tacks with fast rigs. That's them. In the end you are the only one who is responsible for the shot you take, so use what you're confident in, but know there's always a trade off.