Sign in to follow this  
naturegirl

My 5 year old is thinking about being a vegitarian

What? Really?

I swear what this child comes up with never ceases to amaze me, but what amazes me more is that in kindergarten this comes up because her classmate is a vegetarian. Don't get me started on how many females have spoken negatively to her about hunting already.

My answer to my girl is you will not be a vegetarian until you are 18 period. She is strong willed so she kept bringing it up and my answer did not change. This morning I make eggs and bacon. She had already eaten, but I asked her if she wanted bacon. She said no. About 10 seconds later she comes in, grabs a strip of bacon, and says "I'll wait til later to become a vegetarian."

I am constantly amazed at how different things are in kindergarten between this one and when my next oldest was in kindergarten 13 years ago. A few things I like so much better now like father involvement (what a change in 13 years - way to go dads!), but many other things I'm not thrilled with.

I could start ranting, but I'll just deal with my daughter wanting to be a vegetarian and an anti-hunter for now.

I live to hunt and My 2 boys 24 and 21 are vegetarians. They started that crap at about 14. other kids at school got em started . peta gives out these movies of chickens being mutilated and so forth and the kids feel sorry for animals and on and on. I don't like it but what can Ya do? I tease them all the time about eating seaweed. I tell them on Holidays as We eat Turkey or Ham go outside and graze on the grass. Hope fully My grand kids from My daughter will hunt.........BOB!

• Like 2

I live to hunt and My 2 boys 24 and 21 are vegetarians. They started that crap at about 14. other kids at school got em started . peta gives out these movies of chickens being mutilated and so forth and the kids feel sorry for animals and on and on. I don't like it but what can Ya do? I tease them all the time about eating seaweed. I tell them on Holidays as We eat Turkey or Ham go outside and graze on the grass. Hope fully My grand kids from My daughter will hunt.........BOB!

The other day I actually watched a few videos from PETA - one narrated by Paul McCartney. These videos will make anyone want to stop eating store bought meat and chicken. The treatment of the animals at these large, corporate feedlots, dairy farms and chicken coops are very inhumane and inexcusable. It needs to be changed and regulated better. I feel sorry for the animals too - and I'm 45. However, I never think about giving up hunting and fishing; and neither does my family. We firmly believe in fair chase and quick, humane kills. Over the years, we have passed on questionable shots. These messages from PETA only encourage me to hunt more, so I do not get tempted to buy meat from unknown sources.

I will always support the local ranchers, they do things right. However, corporate America does not. For those who do not hunt, I can see why they would want to become vegetarians. But, if they enjoy eating meat, poultry, or eggs, they should buy local or do some research. If they did, they would feel pretty good about where their food came from.

• Like 3

BOTTOM LINE. SUPPORT YOUR KIDS AND AS YOU MATURE AS AN ADULT AND A PARENT YOU WILL LEARN TO CHOOSE YOUR BATTLES. My daughter hated the texture of meat but CHOSE later to eat whatever we, as a family, ate.

There are much more important things in life than this. Enjoy your kids because with the flick of a light switch you could wake up to an empty bed where your child used to sleep and they are gone forever.

We, as parents are the protectors and try to pass on our knowledge on to them. But at some point we need to sit back and see what they can teach us. Just like when we were there.

• Like 5

Nothing like the power of bacon to entice a kid to eat meat. I'm going to remember that trick.

honestly, if you don't like bacon, I don't like you...
  • Like 2

Your an Idiot to if You don't understand kids and certan situations.........BOB!

Yes You are JR!................BOB!

Give them choices and the room to accept or reject them, based on their own experience.

• Like 1

We should teach kids to be independent and make choices for themselves. Otherwise they will never launch. I never had the "vegetarian" issue at home, but if I did they would have been more than welcome to cook for themselves. We would have had fun cooking side by side and eating dinner together, which we always did. I would probably play up "mmm this is good" however, kind of like the movie What about Bob. (if you haven't seen it, it is very funny)

• Like 2

Most of those PETA videos about all the bad stuff they feed the animals is made up honestly! I'm involved in the ag industry and my dad is majorly involved in the ag industry. The tv series that chipotle is putting about about some "pellet" is a joke! Not to say that it's better then wild game cause it isn't. But I'm not changing to a grass eater.