Sign in to follow this  
Red Dog

14 lb largemouth at Canyon

My father, my bud jessy, and myself went fishing at canyon 2 weeks ago. My bud and I were catfishing while my dad was fishing for largemouth. It was extremely windy, and we were debating whether or not to just brave the winds are go home. I'm glad we chose to stay! Towards midnight, we were finishing up and about to head home when my dad said he wanted to try one more spot. Just a bit if background info on my dad, My pops fishes tournaments all the time, and caught his biggest fish earlier this year at 10 lbs 13 ounces at saguaro. Little did we know he was about to shatter that this night, he cast out and tapped against the rock line against the shore, he popped it one time and said he felt a slight tap, and stated it felt like a bluegill or something, it pulled lightly on his pole and he felt pressure, so then he set the hook, and all heck broke loose. We heard the line getting dragged out like crazy, and my father began to exclaim "dear god this is the biggest bass I think I've ever hooked into". Now, he says this every time he hooks into a bass so I was slightly skeptical, until I got a view of the monster. It surfaced for just a brief second in order to make me and my dad soil ourselves a bit! After the brief view we had, it dragged out more line and my dad yelled "get the net!!!" I picked the net up and was ready for my dad to reel her in close enough. The bass was dragging out, and then did a complete 180 and came towards us, it dragged under the boat and my pops was deathly afraid we were about to lose it. Thankfully, it swam back towards my fathers direction, and surfaced. That's all I needed, I netted it and put it in the boat. Me and my fathers jaw dropped and we were in shock, just admiring the beast. Then it hit my dad, he let out his warcries and began running up and down the boat screaming "oh my god oh my god." We weighed it several times, first getting 13 lbs, 11 ounces, then 14, 3 ounces, and then 14, 01 ounces. We agreed to settle for 14. This will be an awesome moment that I'll remember for a long time with my father. Awesome experience. We released it back into the depths to spread the good genetics.

post-12232-0-20971500-1399730296_thumb.jpg

post-12232-0-77005700-1399730314_thumb.jpg

post-12232-0-73093900-1399730529_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

That is crazy awesome. Based on this and the last picture of a big bass posted on this site I think I am going to start fishing at night!

• Like 1

Great fish.

• Like 1

Now that is the kind of story I like to wake up to while drinking a cup of coffee. Congratulations to your dad and big kudos to the both of you for releasing that fish to continue the spawn. Class act right there. :)

TJ

• Like 4

Either way, between 13 and 14lbs.......huge fish! Congrats on that beauty.

• Like 1

Guest 300ultramag.

Killer night for your family!!!!!

to pull her aboard must have had your dads adrenalin pinging. Whoa!!!. Congrats to your dad, and a huge congrats to you, running the net on one of those big girls will make any man weak in the knees...

C&R

well done hats off to ya

Congrats on releasing it. As a life long fisherman going on six decades one of the biggest fish I caught (in my avatar) I just felt compelled to release after almost a half hour fight.

That is a TOAD! Thanks for taking the pics and letting her go! Awesome night for you guys!

Awesome fish. Congrats

Thats an impressive fish to say the least. What a great experience. Congrats to you guys!

Great story and great fish! I love that you released it.

I mounted my 10.5 lb bass (courtesy of Saguaro) and it's hanging on my wall, but I've always said if I catch another one, it will go back.