Sign in to follow this  
apache12

Proper shooting technique

Yesterday at the range I noticed how my point of impact changed greatly based on how firm I held the rifle. My windage never changed and my groups stayed tight but there was a three inch difference in point of impact based on if I held the fore stock very tight and didn't let it jump or when I didn't hold it at all but would cross my left hand (non trigger hand) back onto there rear stock for a bench rest type of hold

So is there a right way or wrong way? I'm thinking about hunting situations and how I would lay prone with my rifle on my pack. In that case I think the rifle would tend to jump higher than if I was seated and shooting of my tripod and holding the rifle down firmer against the tripod

Anyway. I would enjoy the forums feedback or advice.

Also the rifle is not free floated but it does have a quality stock with aluminum bed and a quality Timney trigger. I may free float later

First 3" surprises me, that is a ton or at least it is if you are getting that at 100 yards. If it was 500 or more then it would not be terribly surprising.

I think you are going to get a few different answers on your question.

I think one thing that will change things is how heavy the rifle is. If you look at competitive (not hunting) shooting the rifles are very heavy and require the shooter to touch the rifle very little. I only bring it up because a lighter hunting rifle in a lot of positions is going to require you to hold on to the front of the stock. Prone as you mentioned takes a lot of the issue away since you can align the rifle (in theory) with your body so the recoil does not cause a lot of muzzle flip. Most of the other positions obviously change alignment.

I try not to squeeze the crap out of the stock regardless of the shooting position. I attempt to hold on to everything with only the pressure required to stay on target I guess I would describe it as firm but relaxed. Shooting past 500 yards I really want to be able to get prone, sitting even off a bipod I feel I move just a little too much to really be dialed in at the further distances. This is with targets and animals move so even more so on getting prone.

There are a some on here that shoot or are trained to shoot competitively that can probably give some details on what they do and how things change from competition to hunting situations.

I am not well versed in the "proper" ways. The most important "proper" thing is IMO, trigger pull or control. Nice even building pressure until the gun goes off with follow through. As far as other techniques to me it always boils down to what is comfortable to me. What works best for myself. Its a VERY VERY good thing that you are noticing differences in how you hold the gun and what that means towards the point of impact down range. Practice Practice Practice. Knowing what your gun does is very important. Its one thing to be able to go to the range and shoot a tight group off of a bench. More important is to know what your gun is going to do in different situations. You will notice differences in just shooting prone off a pack vs a bipod. Bipods tend to raise the POI a bit. What ever method you choose to go with my general thought is to pick a way of shooting, whether you grip tight or loose, cheek pressure on the stock, etc. and be sure to repeat those SAME techniques/habits every time. No different than shooting a bow and having multiple anchor points. As long as you do everything the SAME every time, you should be very consistent. Granted hunting situations don't always allow for the same set up every time, but if you have done your homework, are consistent in how you shoot, you should be able to over come small obstacles in a hunting situation, because you know what your gun does. My 2 cents.

• Like 1

Consistency in the hold and sighting in with the same hold you will use in the field is important (for me). Different vibrations probably account for some of this, however a big component is the rearward movement the the rifle under recoil before the bullet has left that barrel.

For some reason, I cant post the link...

Go to youtube and search "Holland Long Range Shooting School - The Prone Position"

Ideally, you need to be in a position and position the rifle against you body in a way so that it comes STRAIGHT back. If you let the butt shift to the left or right, there will be consistency problems. Some say that 'loading' the bipod is the best way. If done properly, can be great but it has to be consistent. It can also change your poi from sighting in the bench. I find if I don't load the bipod and let it come back, my consistency is better and my poi doesn't shift between the bench and prone in the field. Also I find in matches shooting in F-TR class my groups are much tighter and horizontal spreads are virtually non-existent if I just let her slide straight back. But you cannot underestimate butt to shoulder position. It has to be square against your body or it will follow the path to where it needs to be and it won't be straight. Better get it where it needs to be in the first place.

M

• Like 1

Can't help you with prone or kneeling, but if you are serious about prone, drop a twenty on Tubbs book High Power Rifle, got them on Amazon. Covers the three shooting positions and the mental side of shooting also.

Here's a fun but humbling test. Go shoot in optimal conditions, then run around your house 3 times (or equivalent) and make a shot under a second. I've done it with a bow and rifle and I can tell you what you think you can do vs. what you can do when puffing and full of adrenaline are very different.

I've always been an advocate of practice the way you'll hunt. It's nice to have a long range setup and shoot over and over again, but force yourself to lay down against a tree after sprinting up a hill a couple times with cotton mouth and shaky hands.

I've seen the best archers I know blow an easy shot, and I have more than once betrayed my practice and have blown a shot due to adrenaline, shortness of breath, or being caught in the moment.

Shoot all day, every day and get to know you and your bow. If you can make a lap around the house, do a dozen quick push-ups. If you still hit where you are aiming when your heart is jumping out of your chest, you're ready for the bull of your dreams to walk out in front of you after a long hard hunt.

Thank you. For the info on the shoot. Would i be able to have someone review my shooting and offer assistance?

Coach, I have had different experience during exercise and shoot.

We started by doing 8 seconds for 3 shots at 7 yards for groups. Then we did a quarter to half mile bicycle sprint to do the second group. We all shot faster and better groups after the adrenaline dump. Any run and then shoot from positions, I usually shoot better. Running while shooting, I need to practice. That is a horse of a different color though.

All that said, nothing you can do to cure buck fever. I have had that, and got the job done. I still don't know how I was able to get steady enough to get it done.

During training we spent many HOURS on our guns with dummy rounds before we ever touched live ammo. I have down the same thing with my hunting rifles and feel it is an important foundation for shooting. Like anything else, if you're flinching when you shoot all the other techniques can be thrown in the garbage. I only bring this up because it is usually the most common issue with shooting. I agree with the above: train for field conditions and practice control. Good luck

And I really think the holland shooting videos have good information.