Guest oneshot

Morels/Ginsing in AZ???

Guest oneshot

I miss hunting morels/ginsing, are they anywhere in Arizona???

(I know there are the "magic mushrooms" on Mt. Lemon..(mis-spent youth)

Once up on the Kaibab we saw people with baskets full of shrooms but I don't know if they were for eatin or trippin.

everyone that I saw picking them had a smile on their face though.

• Like 1

Peyote? I wouldn't know what to look for out that is the only thing that comes to mind that people look for in the desert. Well, maybe chiltepin bushes in the southern desert. I guess they are expensive at least for a pepper, and they are hot little suckers.

Guest oneshot

Peyote? I wouldn't know what to look for out that is the only thing that comes to mind that people look for in the desert. Well, maybe chiltepin bushes in the southern desert. I guess they are expensive at least for a pepper, and they are hot little suckers.

Chilitepin bushes USED to be on a certain hill-top down by Rio Rico, but people picked them clean and they died-out... I know a ranch in Arivaca where I can pick a few hand-fulls though, they are growing around the main house...

Look for Morels at higher elevations in Burn sites if you can find them. I wouldn't know what Ginsing was if it bit me in the arse. :lol:

The little Purple ones that make you laugh like crazy are the best ones ;)

• Like 1

Guest oneshot

While I doubt ginseng is abundant in AZ, the selling price of primo dried 'sing can go from $800-1000.00 per pound(CatsKill Mt's, NY), avg 300.00+ per pound for not so primo... And fresh morels can sell for 30.00-40.00 a pound to local restaurants... Makes for a "nicer" walk in the woods...

I see a lot of people collecting mushrooms off the roads around big lake in the fall, but I don't know AZ mushrooms well enough to tell what is what. We used to pick coral mushrooms in Oklahoma, and they were delicious (deep fried, of course). I've seen a few out here that look the same but haven't had the guts to try and eat them. Apparently there are plenty of poisonous look-alikes in the fungi-world.

Guest oneshot

I see a lot of people collecting mushrooms off the roads around big lake in the fall, but I don't know AZ mushrooms well enough to tell what is what. We used to pick coral mushrooms in Oklahoma, and they were delicious (deep fried, of course). I've seen a few out here that look the same but haven't had the guts to try and eat them. Apparently there are plenty of poisonous look-alikes in the fungi-world.

Correct Coach... If not sure what your picking... DONT... there arent many things in nature that can kill as quick as eating the wrong mushroom...

I actually bought a book a while back, in efforts to better identify the edible mushrooms in AZ - and this book was specifically dedicated to AZ. The portion of the book dedicated to edible mushrooms was quite small, and each of those had a list of "watch out" mushrooms that looked very similar in the non-edible/highly dangerous portion of the book.

It also mentioned that even the edible varieties usually have little or no food value, just good for taste if you get the right ones.

The little Purple ones that make you laugh like crazy are the best ones ;)

that feeling when, they start to kick in. not that i would know or anything.

I'll see if I can dig up the actual book to answer your question HUNTnTAT2. Probably won't find it, but if you search AZ mushrooms on Amazon it will probably be the first one in the list. lol.