Guest oneshot

Morels/Ginsing in AZ???

Ok, not wanting to derail this, but I've always been curious. Never done shrooms, never wanted to - always knew they were present, as is Peyote.

Waaay back at football camp I remember some of the more 'druggie' types running through fields and looking for little thin mushrooms growing out of cow-pies. Hair thin stalks and the tall, gilled head. And watching Young Guns, when they need to follow the "spirit path" and Lou Diamond Phillips is cutting some black bulbs off the top of the snow...

Those look nothing like what Google shows for images of Peyote, so what is a real shroom, and what does peyote look like in the wild? Not gonna eat any of it (or make tea out of it, lol), I'm just wondering.

Guest oneshot

Ok, not wanting to derail this, but I've always been curious. Never done shrooms, never wanted to - always knew they were present, as is Peyote.

Waaay back at football camp I remember some of the more 'druggie' types running through fields and looking for little thin mushrooms growing out of cow-pies. Hair thin stalks and the tall, gilled head. And watching Young Guns, when they need to follow the "spirit path" and Lou Diamond Phillips is cutting some black bulbs off the top of the snow...

Those look nothing like what Google shows for images of Peyote, so what is a real shroom, and what does peyote look like in the wild? Not gonna eat any of it (or make tea out of it, lol), I'm just wondering.

Peyote is a cactus, low growing, small, segmented tops,covered with white hairs, the white hairs are poison, just the upper part of the cactus is used(not the root)dried or fresh.. they grow at certain altitudes(those black colored hills(Tortise mt???) along Misson Rd. on TO land, west of Tucson have them)...

The mushrooms you are talking about come in different shapes/sizes/colors....

peyote and the mushrooms are tough to see, unless you are targeting them, they 'hide' good...

I am NOT supporting the ingestion of these plants (my mis-spent youth was enough), but it's a good thing to know whats out there...

Used to harvest puffballs (looked like the shrooms in the grocery stores) and shagamanes (sp.) Quit doing it because of the horror stories I've seen on the news. I buy/eat from the grocery store only.

Should you choose to harvest wild mushrooms you dang well better know what you're doing. I'd eat wild shrooms after watching somebody else eat them but certainly won't be the guinea pig.

shrooms are one thing, peyote is another. YELLOWJACKET PRIDE!

Eat the wrong shroom out in the woods and there ain't a Gps out there that will get you out.... hah.

You end up in bat country swatting at flying objects for days.

One September years ago a hunting buddy and I were driving back to camp (mid-morning) up on the Rim when we noticed some people foraging with wicker baskets in hand. I slammed on the brakes and told my buddy that we were about to learn something.

We'd found mushroom hunters with full baskets. We tuned in to Mushroom 101 for over half an hour and were fascinated as the 2 older Italian couples let us into their world. This was just before we all had digital cameras or smart phones --- I didn't think to take any field pics. I don't remember the year, but it was one where we'd experienced a pretty healthy monsoon season.

When we got back to camp, I immediately started rambling about right next to camp, scanning the forest floor. Bingo --- edible mushrooms everywhere! As I remember it (I take NO responsibility for my memory as my years advance!), those mushrooms were rather whitish on top, rather flat, and had NO "sprinkles" of any type on top or underneath on the gill area. REALLY tasty simmered in butter --- filled an entire frying pan! Delish!!!

Here's a link that should prove helpful for those of you wanting to study up on what we have growing here in Arizona (notice the seasonal aspect):

http://arizona-mushrooms.org/2013/08/09/when-where-to-hunt/

According to Don Juan, you don't find peyote, it finds you.

• Like 1

Guest oneshot

Thanks for the link Lv2Hunt...

I knew there was a "famous" quote(read the book years ago, cant remember the title???) about peyote Edge, Thanks for the reminder..

'The Teachings of Don Juan'

by Carlos Castaneda

One September years ago a hunting buddy and I were driving back to camp (mid-morning) up on the Rim when we noticed some people foraging with wicker baskets in hand. I slammed on the brakes and told my buddy that we were about to learn something.

We'd found mushroom hunters with full baskets. We tuned in to Mushroom 101 for over half an hour and were fascinated as the 2 older Italian couples let us into their world. This was just before we all had digital cameras or smart phones --- I didn't think to take any field pics. I don't remember the year, but it was one where we'd experienced a pretty healthy monsoon season.

When we got back to camp, I immediately started rambling about right next to camp, scanning the forest floor. Bingo --- edible mushrooms everywhere! As I remember it (I take NO responsibility for my memory as my years advance!), those mushrooms were rather whitish on top, rather flat, and had NO "sprinkles" of any type on top or underneath on the gill area. REALLY tasty simmered in butter --- filled an entire frying pan! Delish!!!

Here's a link that should prove helpful for those of you wanting to study up on what we have growing here in Arizona (notice the seasonal aspect):

http://arizona-mushrooms.org/2013/08/09/when-where-to-hunt/

Definitely some mushrooms on there that look like Morrels.

I have found ginseng , lots of mushrooms and indian turnuips in ohio when I was a kid, but not in az. The indian turnips will numb your mouth and tongue its a pretty funny joke if your at the right end.

Thanks coach! Will have to do some research. If u are picking them, make sure to flick the head (before picking) to release the spores into to foliage so they will continue to grow in the area.