bear, lion, and hogs are all measured with in a 1/16 of an inch but youre right, good math it does come out to 1/8

• Like 1

So I went to check the cameras this weekend and on my way down the mountain I stumbled upon a bear bear. If any of you recall I shot one last fall and couldn't find it. Well this bear was about 150 yards directly down will from where I shot it. Same size and same color. In that area there are only about 3 bears that color and all different sizes. There is a hole in the hide in the expect spot I shot it. I know because it was only a 7yard shot. So with this all being said I am about 95%sure this is the bear I shot. I brought home the skull, still in perfect shape. It measured 21 1/8. Can it still be recorded in Boone and Crocker?

I believe it has to considered a legitimate kill by game and fish. So if game and fish says its legitimate you should be fine.

It can be entered I believe but as a pick up, if you did not recover it within 48 hours it is considered lost game and you cannot tag it.

• Like 1

And you can't tag after the season end date per state law. Unless special circumstances. Either way, if its the one you shot, I'd show it off no matter how long after the shot I found it.

Rageinthesage is correct. I shot my 21+ bear and recovered it one week later and it counted only as a "pick me up" or "found" skull. The reason why is because I (and now you) violated the "fair chase" rules of big game hunting by leaving the field of the chase and recovering the animal later. If one stayed in the field and searched for the animal each day, then that fair chase rule would not have been violated.

I took my skull back and refused to pay the $5 or $10 to have my skull entered into the books as a "find" since it was the bear that I called, shot, and killed! Our state Game and Fish has nothing to do with these fair chase rules, it is all Boone and Crockett stuff.

I am so glad you found it though! Were you able to recover any claws?

By the way, did you get any bears on camera?

Well it would be better if it was entered as a kill. But I think I still might enter it in just to say I got one in the record books. Yes I did find a couple claws also so I brought those home as well. If I figure out how to post some pics on my iPad I'll get them up. Not too many bears but I did get some. I'll post those as well if I can figure how to do it on an iPad.

Yes. That was your bear! Look at its worn down canine teeth. He was a brute!

• Like 1

There is no 48 hour rule. If you continue to look for it and find it then it is considered a kill but if you give up on it and it is found later by you or someone else then it is a pickup. Congrats on finding it.

Brian