AGFD News

AGFD news What would you think of a new online club for hunters?

Swivelhead, excellent review for us that couldn't make it. That was one of my concerns, that this was just a way to bring in revenue. If the department needs more revenue after the tag increases, maybe it is time to look at making some cuts instead of charging the hunters more and more.

And my second concern would be who is the outside company who would build and maintain the site. Hopefully it is not one of the few company's that have run the draw web site for the past several years. Because that has been a nightmare.

Lance, apparently G&F has hired their own IT professionals to handle the draw, this new portal and the current website. It's all in house from here on out. The next draw cycle (spring 2015) will be conducted as usual but the new system should be in place for the 2015 elk/lope draw.

This is my understanding also. The AZGFD is just as frustrated with the performance of the current draw process as we are. This is the final year under contract with the company that currently conducts this service for the department. AZGFD is taking things "in house" to address the current situation head on.

Whens the g&f kiosks opening up?

Level 3: Fee unknown at this time. Unlimited tag surrender, priority access for surrendered permits, early draw result notification and an online subscription to AZ wildlife views. Additional services bundled at this level, none noteworthy..

Early draw result? They can't even get the regular draw result out on time.

Actually, the draw results are early every year.
  • Like 2

Level 3: Fee unknown at this time. Unlimited tag surrender, priority access for surrendered permits, early draw result notification and an online subscription to AZ wildlife views. Additional services bundled at this level, none noteworthy..

So, no need to make any changes???

in case you didnt see it

well - I actually attended the meeting - I know - pass the smelling salts to all those in need

We are getting the portal come jan 2015 - basically a done deal
it a new up to date- new technological website -that lets you login and interactively get and give G&F information on your interests - with possible access to buyin licenses - boat renewal etc - make it as detailed as you desire for yourself

as for the hunting club - no one person was really excited or even thought it would fly .

we can get early access to the draw using our cc
the main discussion cover surrendered tags

I guess I was the only one who really do want hunters to just be able to return tags - minus tag cost and keep ther bonus points

heres what I sent in as my comment

If they allow surrendered tags - there must be guidelines and penalties involved.

besides loss of tag fees -
1- 25 dollar reprocessing fee

2- a loss of loyalty points for 5 yrs

3 - preferably a medical /doctors excuse that you physically can not hunt -then no loss of loyalty points or bonus points

4 - at least 2 weeks before season starts - not really fair to the new guy if its at a moments notice

5 -once in a lifetime - one species

otherwise hunters will abuse the process

point of interest - lets say of the 26,000 elk tags - .01 % decide for whatever reason to return there tags

what will the cost of trying to get 260 new hunters a chance to go and how long will it take

what if its 10 % can the department honestly be able basically redraw 2,600 tags in a minimum of time -say giving Each called person TWO or more tries to contact ?

allowing surrendered tags will ultimately be a total pain in the rear if you do not implement a stiff penalty.

now that's just elk - figure in all the other game species

You'd need a new staff and a dedicated department to pull it off

they are opening a can of worms that they may not be able to control

I think that the only real reason to surrender a tag is medical- doctors excuse if they are to maintain bonus points
other wise we all know anything can and does sometimes happen to change plans - lose everything -get over it

A lot of hunters may use the surrender to draw a better unit or during better conditions etc. will happen!
less likely if they know there are pentalties

THINK ABOUT IT DOES THE G&F HAVE THE EXTRA MANPOWER AND RESOURCE ,BUDGET TO PROVIDE THIS SERVICE!!

a lot of others mentioned / argued what difference does it make G&F will resell the tags
its not fair to the next guy if he only has a few days or a weks notice ifsome hunter sits on a tag for 3 months before deciding

next was to whom do these tags go

it should be just like the cc turned down the next guy in line for the regular draw

not some guy with money to get the first chance cuz in the the so called members club

several times the club was referred to a way for the "LAZY" to pay extra to get things done, he really didn't want to do or really have time for or really didnt know much about - and get the bonus of first choice cuz hes a member

I stated aloud that's to me that's BULL CHIT

also the lawyers / guides / retails new laws thing was basically about legal paid advertising - I stated the wording wasnt really clear

go to the meeting get a better idea

I voted NO on the club idea'

there is no new funding for the club or the portal - all taken out of existing fees

i also commented that the sportsmen /hunters of this state would like to se somekind of improvement - spend funds to actually get a draw sytem/technology that would actually work and meet the set deadlines on time

spend funds on fixing a problem not starting a new one

• Like 1

Maybe you can still trade your bear tag in...

Another issue that I've not heard comment on:

What about people who don't have internet access? Offline constituents would be forced to be a member of something they cannot use in order to be able to surrender tags or acquire them.

BTW, for the record, I am a fan of this new portal concept. Don't have a clue how I'll use it. On another note, G&F ought to dump the "club" name and the tiered membership for their new portal. Maybe AZ school kids should have a naming contest? Heck, I'll toss one out there, AZ Wildlife Collective? Anything's better than "club."

Curious. Has anyone else been contacted by G&F because of posts on CWT? I was recently and was a little surprised, but it's all good nonetheless.

Yes! G&F is very vindictive and if you criticize them on here they will come after you. Its a long story, but if you want to hear what happened to me because of posting critical posts about them send me a pm...

They are like the IRS and try and punish those with views different than theirs.

I have been very critical of the AZGFD here on the site and haven't ever received an email from them or had any contact from them. Not really sure what they could or would say to people that disagree with them? I just figure they make sure my name gets a very high assigned number during every draw so I don't get drawn haha but other than them trying to do something to you by screwing you in the draw I don't know what else they could come up with to get you for disagreeing with them.