AGFD News

AGFD news What would you think of a new online club for hunters?

Allen....You probably don't realize we know one another. I sent you a PM with my phone number. In speaking with the commission in payson few weeks ago they have an idea that has not been made public yet. I would like to get your thoughts on it. Dave

Allen is right, the big bad wolf is not at the door. I encourage all to relax. Go to the meeting if you can, it will soothe your concerns. Scott Lavin is a professional and would really like to hear our concerns. Get informed and make contact with Scott and the commissioners. I will post my take on the meeting last night when I get time.

Went to the meeting at G&F last night, FWIW, this is my observation:

G&F will have a new portal that is modeled after social media. The intention is to help attract young people to the outdoor sports. I don't do social media so I don't really know how it will work. Apparently we can have our own personal page with all the web based G&F info available. The current website will remain. This portal will be available to all at no cost.

I'll try and explain proposed options available via the new portal aka "club." Be aware, this is from memory (which is not so good).

Level 1: Free, all current G&F web based services we are accustomed to. Your personal page will also have your current bonus points, current apps, etc. At this level of membership, you cannot surrender a tag.

Level 2: Fee unknown at this time. This level of membership will allow 1 tag surrender (don't know if that is per draw cycle, year or lifetime). Level 2 will also include additional services that are bundled with this level of membership. Don't recall specifics on the services, none were noteworthy in my mind.

Level 3: Fee unknown at this time. Unlimited tag surrender, priority access for surrendered permits, early draw result notification and an online subscription to AZ wildlife views. Additional services bundled at this level, none noteworthy.

The Meeting:

Lightly attended, approximately 10 people, four were representatives from various organizations. Scott Lavin did a presentation of the new portal and then requested input.

Almost without exception, the public and organizations wanted unlimited (for any reason) tag surrender with bonus point retention and that club membership should not be a prerequisite. Commenters felt surrendering a tag was harmless to wildlife and department coffers. All felt that surrendered tags should go to "next in line" from the original draw.

Group applications were discussed and scenarios where tag surrendering members of a group could scam the system. As with most meetings discussion went in different directions at times but tag surrender dominated the meeting, it IS the issue.

Portal and online draw will be written and implemented in house. G&F has hired people to operate the system. Talked briefly to the IT guy at the meeting, he said the new online draw system will likely be in place early next year.

Overall, I believe if enough concerned outdoorsmen respectfully communicate their concerns we will have the proper outcome on the tag surrender issue. Based on input at the meeting, unlimited surrender, bonus point retention, surrendered permits to "next in line" is the correct scenario.

G&F is obviously looking for additional revenue, tag surrender is the bait. How we overcome what G&F sees as a revenue opportunity is the real issue. Five hundred re-issued tags at $150 (guess) would be 75K and a given. Twenty thousand level three memberships at $30 (another guess) is 600K has got to be the real prize. These numbers are likely way off. Even if the number was double or triple my projection it is my opinion that G&F should never sacrifice the integrity of tag allocation. Buy a license, apply for a hunt = your in! Whether your a laborer or a titan of industry, in AZ's draw we are all equal. AZGF has always been straight up with tag allocation, hopefully "membership" will not tarnish this reputation. I will send my opinion to the commissioners soon, I will ask them to find revenue elsewhere. Keep tag allocations in our state equal to all who apply.

Swivelhead, excellent review for us that couldn't make it. That was one of my concerns, that this was just a way to bring in revenue. If the department needs more revenue after the tag increases, maybe it is time to look at making some cuts instead of charging the hunters more and more.

And my second concern would be who is the outside company who would build and maintain the site. Hopefully it is not one of the few company's that have run the draw web site for the past several years. Because that has been a nightmare.

I'm in favor of tag surrender and point retention, for individual applicants only. Anybody that drew as part of a group should not have the option otherwise I could sell my 20 point app to a group to boost them up every year.

Re issue should be next in line not the guy that paid for gold club membership, that's just wrong.

• Like 2

Who the heck would want AZGFD appearal??? This is a joke right?

Lmao that cracked me up

Whens the g&f kiosks opening up?

Level 3: Fee unknown at this time. Unlimited tag surrender, priority access for surrendered permits, early draw result notification and an online subscription to AZ wildlife views. Additional services bundled at this level, none noteworthy..

Early draw result? They can't even get the regular draw result out on time.

There is a meeting coming up next tuesday July 1st at 6:00 at the Mesa AZGFD office. Sportsmens constituent Group is hosting Scott Lavin who will present the topic. I invite you to attend and ask your questions/express your views. Allen Taylor.

The July 1st meeting in Mesa isn't advertised anywhere. The only meeting I see in Mesa is on July 8th at BassPro. Not being listed anywhere, I want to make sure it's an "open" meeting. Thanks.

I'm in favor of tag surrender and point retention, for individual applicants only. Anybody that drew as part of a group should not have the option otherwise I could sell my 20 point app to a group to boost them up every year.

The scenario you describe concerning group apps is definitely an issue. A number of remedies were discussed at the meeting. One way to prevent chronic abuse of tag surrender by an applicant who is part of a group would be to reduce the BP's of the surrendering applicant to the lowest BP total of any member of the group app. i.e. A group app has 2 applicants, one has 3 points, the other has 12. The group gets drawn. The applicant with 12 points surrenders his tag. His bonus point total would drop to 3 points. A rule such as this should handle the problem.

• Like 3

Geebus, what am I gonna hafta do next....a freakin course at pima community college? Can't we just go back to sending in apps with a money order, draw a tag or get a pink slip, and go hunting. You can't go? Toss the tag. When did hunting become so much a headache.

• Like 2

Swivelhead, excellent review for us that couldn't make it. That was one of my concerns, that this was just a way to bring in revenue. If the department needs more revenue after the tag increases, maybe it is time to look at making some cuts instead of charging the hunters more and more.

And my second concern would be who is the outside company who would build and maintain the site. Hopefully it is not one of the few company's that have run the draw web site for the past several years. Because that has been a nightmare.

Lance, apparently G&F has hired their own IT professionals to handle the draw, this new portal and the current website. It's all in house from here on out. The next draw cycle (spring 2015) will be conducted as usual but the new system should be in place for the 2015 elk/lope draw.

I will plan to attend on Tuesday. I don't see the point of putting in with the point to turn the tag back in just to get a bonus point. Can't we already just put in for a bonus point only?

Would this increase the amount of people initially putting in thus increasing the draw odds?

The returned tags should be auctioned off to the higst bidder and the money used to raise the pay of the Wildlife Managers.

There is a meeting coming up next tuesday July 1st at 6:00 at the Mesa AZGFD office. Sportsmens constituent Group is hosting Scott Lavin who will present the topic. I invite you to attend and ask your questions/express your views. Allen Taylor.

The July 1st meeting in Mesa isn't advertised anywhere. The only meeting I see in Mesa is on July 8th at BassPro. Not being listed anywhere, I want to make sure it's an "open" meeting. Thanks.

It is common for the department to meet with different conservation groups for presentations such as this. SCG is having a non formal meeting this coming Tuesday and it is SCG's goal to "bring a friend" and spread the word of the meeting. So yes, the public is definitely welcome. Also, bring a friend!

• Like 1