Sign in to follow this  
ctafoya

cant shoot strait

I never took bow hunting very serious. I would buy a tag mainly just to get out in the woods. I would practice sometimes but never got after it really hard. I didn't shoot my bow for over two years and now I have a unit 1 early bull tag. Got restrung and starting hitting the range. I shot 20 yards for 3 hours then 30 for three hours all the way out to 50. My accuracy has improved and I'm feeling good about how I am shooting except for 30 yards and 50 yards. No consistency whatsoever. The only thing common to the issue is that both of those pins are red. Does this make any sense? Has anyone else had issues with pin colors or do I just need to practice more?

When you pull your release do you pull back with your hand or squeeze trigger? You don't wanna pull trigger it's called ninja finger you could he pulling your shots. You won't notice it at 20 yards just farther distances it could also be fatigue causing you to push or pull your shots I practice 20 yards maybe 6 shots. But I think practicing past 50 yards gives you better practice because your form needs to be better.

it is possible that you're spending too much time shooting at 20 yards before you move out to further distances. your arm/shoulder could be getting fatigued. i would not think that sight color would have anything to do with it. i have shot a bow for 20+ years and the number one factor that makes me shoot good/bad on any given day is mental. if my mind is not in the right place, neither are my arrows

If you were on this side of town I'd say let's meet up at Ben Avery an shoot.

I know after 6 hours of shooting my muscles would be fatigued and my form would likely not be the greatest so thats what comes to mind for me.

As for release technique, there are a lot of people that use back tension, and there are a lot of people that squeeze with their finger.its all about what works for you, I know guys that have bowhunted for decades with a lot of success that squueze with their finger.I do too and I shoot fine and out to 80 and haven't tried further.maybe it makes a difference out over 100, but I don't want to shoot at a buck over 50 or 60 yards anyway, that's why I use a bow not a rifle.

• Like 1

I'll have to pay attention next time im out. Ill just jump right in at longer distances first to see whats goin on. Im sure its fatigue or getting frustrated at my lack of accuracy getting to me.

Take a few shots at 20, 30, 40 to make sure nothing has change sometimes something might be a little loose. As long as everything is good practice your longer shots. Like the guy above me said focus on mechanics. Anybody can shoot well at 20 yards with bad form. But if your off by an inch at 20 yards doesn't seem like much, multiply that at 4 to 5 times the distance

if you get fatigued stop shooting and take a break. if you shoot while your arms and shoulders are fatigued it can cause bad form and make that bad form become habit, which will take longer to correct and regain good form than just working on your form while your arms and shoulders are fresh

• Like 2

I agree fatigue might be an issue, however without knowing whats actually happening, I believe your bow may be out of tune. If for example there's a rest problem, it will become more exaggerated at longer distances. 10 or 20 yards usually don't show any issues. Try "walk back" tuning. It's helped me get things corrected.

• Like 2

How are your 40 and 60 yard groups? If they are good, maybe it does have something to do with the color or brightness of the pin.

Try using a smaller target, aim small hit small.

• Like 1

Are you colorblind? I am and use no red pins. I cant even see the difference between my green and yellow fiber. The red looks invisible so to speak to my eyes. Get your bow checked by a good mechanic who knows what they are doing.

This is just a guess, are you looking at your pins or at the target? Make sure that your focus is on the target. It makes a big difference for me after a long layoff from shooting. I just try to look thru my pin and concentrate on the spot I want to hit. If I catch myself looking at the pins, my accuracy suffers.

The time shooting seems like a lot to me.

This helps me a lot. I practice long shots first. I always get better results when going from 50 to 40 to 30 to 20 than the other way around and of course after doing 50 yards, the rest seem easy.

I'd also say if it's in your head that it is the pin color, mark your pins and switch them around. See what happens and then you will know if it's the color or not.

• Like 1