Sign in to follow this  
3Coues3

Shoot or Pass???

I have a San Carlos Bear tag that starts in a few weeks. This will be my first bear hunt and just wanted to get some opinions. Shoot or Pass on this bear? Photo Was taken from about 500yards

post-6196-0-29490000-1406056012_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Depends on what you are looking for. If you want to tag a bear, then shoot.

Me personally I'd pass after seeing some of the big ones off the rez.

I'd shoot, but then I'd be happy just to tag a bear!

That's not a big bear. Keep searching and you will find one much better. I have seen them with there belly not far off the ground. Find a place with lots of cow calves. If you find a dead cow, there are usually bears close by. Another way to tell if you have and big bear, is to look at them from the front and see if they have a deep v in the skull and it's nice and wide. I have seen bears in the desert and up in the pines during that hunt. David

Ears look rather big, meaning that it isn't a monster bear. Hard to tell from the distance though.

Ears look rather big, meaning that it isn't a monster bear. Hard to tell from the distance though.

They look about average for his head size which is blocky and the snout looks short. I am guessing about a 6yo bear that isn't getting enough to eat. I would guess about 225#'s. Looks like a boar.

Is that an OTC Tag?

• Like 2

Iv Only seen one big bear from that distance, what stood out most to me was not being able to see his ears and how low he was swaying his head back and fourth to the ground as he walked.Looked like he could barely lift his noggin. Im no expert but I would say average and still SHOOT! Every other bear iv ever seen was real scronny like sub adults.

Also +1 on the dead cows. Had a buddy who found one and ended up getting a nice brown phase close by up there.

That bear has some age to him! I would wait a few days to see what else might show up. Lots of average bear on the san carlos! Good luck

I have shot a variety of different sized bears on state land. However, San Carlos does have some bruisers, and color-phased ones at that! For the price of that rez tag, I would wait for a larger colored-phased beast to come along. Do some calling out there!

Thank you everyone for the input. In my opinion I will be looking for something bigger with that bear being at my minimum size to shoot. And kidso I know you love your color phased bears but I am looking for a jet black bear. I personally like them more than the color phase.

• Like 1