Sign in to follow this  
DotShot

Badger

So today is the first day of the Arizona Badger season and, while out on a desert drive, we came across this big boar. I must say, they are some nasty smelling critters. This is the 5th Badger we've taken in this general area. Seems to be a decent population you just have to look hard!

post-962-0-71483100-1406943552_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I would pay for a badger hunt! :P It sounds cool, probably not as cool as it sounds...

Nice badger, good trophy and would make a really cool mount! I found a freshly dug burrow from one a few months back but never did go back and put a cam on it.

Lucky sob!!!! See 5 in one area and on the first day! I've only seen two that were alive in my life.

I called one in a few years ago out by your house. I can let you know where to go hahaha

I've called in a few in the past and trapped a brute last year in a cage trap. I skinned him out and fleshed him and threw him on a stretcher. Had a fella offer $60 but he's 32" long (nose to tip of tail) and the pelt looks fantastic. I passed. It's a keep sake. He was mad at a wet hen when I was right against the cage ready to shoot him. Hissing and shaking like he was having a fit .22 short from my Rugar six shooter right between the eyes shot out a stream of blood 2 feet. It got me on the chin and all down my shirt. His head musta been under some extreme pressure.

3_zpsa416c8af.jpg

2_zpsa3970ef5.jpg

1_zpse925e19d.jpg

20131215_1454471_zps497e95ed.jpg

Skinning and fleshing a badger is no east feat. Hide does not peel off like a fox coyote or bobcat. You have to cut it off inch by inch. The smell wasn't too bad but Im a trapper and after a while nothing really bothers you much.

• Like 3

They definitely have an odor to them. The only one I have ever called in smelled so bad that I had a hard time cleaning it. Ended up giving the hide to someone else. Wife said no to having it mounted.