Sign in to follow this  
bigbuckkiller

18 points for Elk

I have been dead set on rifle unit 1 for years but feel like I will never get it. One thing I have realized is that points really don't mean anything unless you are in the max point pool. It just means you are one of the unlucky ones every year.. Lol... What I mean by that is a good majority of people draw with way less then max points.

• Like 1

I have been dead set on rifle unit 1 for years but feel like I will never get it. One thing I have realized is that points really don't mean anything unless you are in the max point pool. It just means you are one of the unlucky ones every year.. Lol... What I mean by that is a good majority of people draw with way less then max points.

I got drawn for muzzy bull this year with 7 points. Dont give up. You have an 11 times better chance than i did.

I am trying to be patient.. Its just really starting to run out though. I have been going back and forth from unit 1 to unit 9.. I also have 16 points for deer and im trying my hardest not to fold. I know with all the points I have I need to hold out for what I want but it gets harder and harder ever year when I get on the computer and find out I drew another point.

Apply for a NM, Colorado or Urah deer tag while you wait on AZ.

• Like 2

I would not hesitate to drop 18 BP on 22N.

I would! Gotta be number 5 of 6 in the state depending on the year.

Ok so here is the simple math for everyone who is saying unit 9 and 23 or bust. After the 2014 draw there were 105 people with >18 bonus points for elk. In units 9 and 23 there are a total of 45 tags, that means 9 tags go to the bonus pass. It is safe to say that the vast majority of those 105 people are waiting on units 9 and 23 (otherwise they would not have that number of bonus points). At that rate it will be 11-12 years before you reach the bonus pass. Or you could cash in those 18 unsuccessful applications for one of the top 10 public land elk hunts in the country, have a hunt with only a handful of permits, very few archery tags, has one of the most consistent ruts in the state, lots of roadless country, is very glass friendly, depending on where you live it is very easy and close for scouting and produces quality animals every single year. Once you have that tag you could draw 2-3 archery tags during the 11-12 years you would have spent waiting for one 5 day hunt in 9 or 23. Whatever caliber of bull you want to take, I promise you it is available in unit 22. This unit is one of the better kept secrets in the state. Any way I digress.

In regards to unit 1; if you are willing to wait until 2016 when the ML hunt is there, you are probably in luck. This year 18 bp was enough for a resident to draw the ML tag. So in 2016 with 19 bp, you should be good. For the rifle hunt you are still on the cusp and it could take several years to clear out the folks who are ahead of or in the same boat as you.

Good luck, and if you get to feeling sorry for yourself I will be happy to swap points with you :)

I would not hesitate to drop 18 BP on 22N.

I would! Gotta be number 5 of 6 in the state depending on the year.

Ok so here is the simple math for everyone who is saying unit 9 and 23 or bust. After the 2014 draw there were 105 people with >18 bonus points for elk. In units 9 and 23 there are a total of 45 tags, that means 9 tags go to the bonus pass. It is safe to say that the vast majority of those 105 people are waiting on units 9 and 23 (otherwise they would not have that number of bonus points). At that rate it will be 11-12 years before you reach the bonus pass. Or you could cash in those 18 unsuccessful applications for one of the top 10 public land elk hunts in the country, have a hunt with only a handful of permits, very few archery tags, has one of the most consistent ruts in the state, lots of roadless country, is very glass friendly, depending on where you live it is very easy and close for scouting and produces quality animals every single year. Once you have that tag you could draw 2-3 archery tags during the 11-12 years you would have spent waiting for one 5 day hunt in 9 or 23. Whatever caliber of bull you want to take, I promise you it is available in unit 22. This unit is one of the better kept secrets in the state. Any way I digress.

In regards to unit 1; if you are willing to wait until 2016 when the ML hunt is there, you are probably in luck. This year 18 bp was enough for a resident to draw the ML tag. So in 2016 with 19 bp, you should be good. For the rifle hunt you are still on the cusp and it could take several years to clear out the folks who are ahead of or in the same boat as you.

Good luck, and if you get to feeling sorry for yourself I will be happy to swap points with you :)

you got this down to a science! cant argue with math

If someone in my family had that many points built up I would highly encourage them to hold out for an early tag in Unit 1 for whatever choice of weapon they preferred. There may be bigger bulls or more of them in Unit 9 or 10 or wherever, but to me a huge part of the hunt is the experience and your surroundings. In my humble opinion there is no more beautiful country in the State of Arizona than that country up around Springerville, Greer, Big Lake, Alpine, etc. For me, that is what I imagine when I think of a high country elk hunt. I feel that it is even better now with all the good forage after the Wallow Fire. This will peak at some point and slowly start degrading back to "normal". Although I have only hunted there twice, I am getting to know my way around pretty well and with enough time and effort I feel that we could be successful with a great representative of the species with a little luck from the good Lord.

Good Luck on your hunt. There is some really good advice on this thread. I wish I had your problem! LOL!

Nick

• Like 4

I would strongly consider trying to get muzzy tag in 1 or 27 when they come around. People shy away from them slightly, but IMO a muzzlaoder is just as good as a center fire in those units, especially unit 1. Most of your shots are gonna

Be in the timber or meadows and probably 200 yds or less. I don't have first hand knowledge on 9 or 10 but it sure seems like the bulls in those units have been decreasing in size as of late? I think your points would land you a unit 1 muzzy tag next year, and if I remember right there should be one.

Keep after the unit 1 tag. Maybe look into borrowing some luck from your dad, he seems to have no problem getting white mountain elk tags!

I too have 18 resident points and know your pain. If I could hunt the entire archery hunt I would do it. I could miss work for a week max, and I worry I would pick the wrong week or be unable to get it done. Then I would think about the time I wasn't hunting when the hunt was on and drive myself nuts. At least my 6A December tag eases the pain this year.