Sign in to follow this  
naturegirl

cleaning deer - need help please 6A

Only thing about gutless is that your leaving some of the best meat, tendorloins!!!!!

JD

You do not have to leave the tendorloins with the gutless method! You just make an incision near the spine and reach in and cut or grab them out. It's pretty simple.

And you can even decide to take the heart and liver after you are done with removing all the meat. What the gutless method does is let you handle all the meat without risk of cutting open any organs. If you decide you want heart and liver, then you can open body cavity and remove them.

+ 1 Amanda! It is very easy to take the tenderloins using the gutless method

• Like 3

The only time I would consider doing the gutless method is when the animal has been hit in the guts... Yes you can get the tender loins, but you are either ripping and tearing them out or your risking cutting a gut open and ruining them. Also, you can save the heart and liver if you like.

Learn both methods, but I suggest gutting for the first couple times.

• Like 1

I would suggest going out if you have time before your hunt shoot a rabbit or two and have someone show you. It is almost identical and like Amanda said great practice. Then find a good youtube video you like pre load it on your phone before you go into the field since you won't have service you can refer to the video

LMAO. Sorry I watched the last video and all I keep seeing is Edward Scissorhands. LMAO. I can't stop laughing...sorry. Shoot...

I guess I made the mistake of watching the first 7-minute video. I seriously got a very good education from the first video and then I pull up the 2nd video and I'm still laughing. I don't think it was meant to be funny, but I find it hilarious.

Anyhow, looks like I missed the seminar. I saw it and eyed it, but honestly I thought it was more how to prepare the hide for a mount.

I have a friend who swears I could pull off the gutless method alone, but it's one of those things that hands experience would definitely have made me more confident. After all that goes into the hunt, I would never want to lose the meat.

I'm entering my 15+ deer hunt and I have yet to tag a deer. Opportunities on good bucks (my idea of good is not a booner either) have plain kicked my rear. I tried going back and counting and at minimum it's 15 hunts. I've always been determined to do it on my own in my own way, but I will say it is time for me to tag a deer this year. Enough already.

• Like 2

Guts? What are those? My buddy and I can have a deer caped and cut up gutless method in about 45 min. It also gets the hide off that meat so the temp of the meat goes way down and less likely to spoil. I highly recommend it!

Seek out and help your local butcher. Soon you'll be processing, t00.

I have done a pile of critters gutless style and have never lost or damaged a tenderloin or cut any guts while doing it.

That being said the old fashioned way may be the best for a first timer. Just for the anatomy llesson alone.

• Like 1

Since you are in 6A, tie up a 340 class bull to a tree for me. I can then show you the gutless method first hand opening morning.

I wouldn't mind a cow tied to a tree while you're at it. Taking a junior on her first hunt this year and hoping she can tag out early.

I'm up for trades. I can do either of the requests above. Not quite sure about a 340 class (or tying one to a tree), but I can get you on a good bull. Cows are no problem and a girl on a junior hunt is right up my alley. I love helping kids.

Meanwhile I'm watching video after video of gutting deer and elk. What fun!

I will be in munds for the archery deer hunt and can show you the gutless method if you or I stick one. Pm me.

• Like 1

Cleaning a deer is just like cleaning anything else, so one thing I recommend for people who want experience is to go cottontail rabbit hunting or jackrabbit hunting. You can get a lot of experience that way.

This is great advice. A productive way to learn gutting, skinning, and bone anatomyy for proper breakdown of a carcass for transport. I was going to post the same thing!

I will PM you my number. If you get one down and need help, give me a call. If its the last week of the season I could maybe run up and help you.

I could also walk you through the gutless process pretty easily over the phone.

• Like 1