capoeirajosh

Career advice?

Hey, everyone. I have been toying with the idea of making a career switch. I have been roofing 11 years for my dad's company and originally had the idea of taking over the business. Now, I am thinking that it might not be the best option for me, due to the instability of income and lack of any benefits, along with some other more personal issues. I am not looking for something right away. Just looking for ideas and opportunities that are out there. Thanks in advance.

A/C master techs are always in high demand, should be easy for you since your always on a roof anyways.

Automotive masters techs, like myself, there is always work

Air conditioning is a good career that can make great money. You just have to be smart to manage your money for the slower months and be willing to work tons of hours during the summer. Good commercial techs can make very good money and good refrigeration techs can make better money. Residential A/C is a tougher game. Many of the companies want you to upsell or flat out swindle people to insentivise the money you make.

Computer opportunites are definitely on the rise. Like Web security, design, and programming. Programming is huge right now, my bud is 20 years old, started programming 2 years ago, and is bringing in 65k+ a year self-employed. You can find a lot of coding websites, that can teach you all you need to learn about programming. Most important thing though, is to do something that you love doing. I wanted to do electrical engineering, just because it was great money. After working close with electrical engineers at Boeing for a year, I realized it wasn't for me. Started going after a career that involved my passion for the outdoors. So I settled for Forestry.

-Seth

Manufacturing has been on fire for the last several years. Machinists are in high demand and theres some decent manufacturing tech programs at gateway ccs.

I know the feeling of taking over a family business. I could of bit with the "family" issues involved I decided not to. I however still work in the se career field. Unless your a doc or engineer, 3 things that will always be needed.... HVAC, auto repair, and roofs/carpentry. May not pay the best at times but always in demand

Look into working as Maintenance or a/c tech for a school district. Decent pay. State Retirement. Paid benefits for the employee usually 100% by the district. May not make bank roll but the benefits are well worth it.

• Like 1

A/C master techs are always in high demand, should be easy for you since your always on a roof anyways.

Automotive masters techs, like myself, there is always work

Air conditioning is a good career that can make great money. You just have to be smart to manage your money for the slower months and be willing to work tons of hours during the summer. Good commercial techs can make very good money and good refrigeration techs can make better money. Residential A/C is a tougher game. Many of the companies want you to upsell or flat out swindle people to insentivise the money you make.

I agree, you need to stay out of residential, my buddy does only industrial refrigeration, service, repair or install. He only does residential when a friend is in need, otherwise doing residential isnt worth his time. By all this a/c work, im talking about a technician, not a installer or a duct worker, those are terrible career choices.

But i do agree, find something you love, and you'll never work a day in your life. If i could do it all over, i would pick forestry or maybe a game warden...but i do still love my job lol

Where r u located? BNSF is hiring a lot in Phoenix and Winslow and Union Pacific railroad is hiring a lot out of Tucson and Phoenix. Great retirement and benefits.

Where r u located? BNSF is hiring a lot in Phoenix and Winslow and Union Pacific railroad is hiring a lot out of Tucson and Phoenix. Great retirement and benefits.

I am located in Peoria.

Thanks everyone. Does anyone know anything more about becoming a game warden? That sounds right up my ally.