capoeirajosh

Career advice?

both my brothers are up in the oil fields and been working up there for years and one works 4 on 2 off and makes unreal money! both say its not too bad of work but the -30 winters suck. work as many hours as you want. he has sent me pics of 9800 dollar paychecks many times. I wanted to go work up there but i had my both my boys within 3 years and couldn't leave my wife here with a new born and a toddler. as soon as they both get a couple more years older i will be going. i will hate leaving them for weeks but i love spending money... and she would like my checks looking like that also. just an idear

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. Does anyone know anything more about becoming a game warden? That sounds right up my ally.

If you are interested in becoming a game warden in Arizona, you can go to the Game and Fish web page and you will find a link that will explain the requirements. I worked for Arizona Game and Fish for 20 years as a Wildlife Manager(Game Ranger) and really enjoyed it! I retired to run my family business. Some days I sure wish I was back out patrolling a hunt or doing a deer survey. Those were fun times!

• Like 2

If you have a chance to be your own boss it beats the ***** out of Working for Someone else. As soon as there is a downturn in the economy you'll be shown the door.

Don't discount your roofing company opportunity.

• Like 2

Being your own boss can be great, but there are many aspects of self employment that are not easy to deal with. I was self employed for many years with my own cabinet and woodworking shop. Commercial and residential. The economic meltdown of 2008 showed me the door in a big way, along with many other small business owners. You need to have money to weather any storm that comes your way. Not always easy being in small business during the tough times

Don't become a cabinetmaker. Trust me on this one. ;)

• Like 1

there's money to be made in the cell tower industry.

my best bud, who is my age, started a cell tower construction/ maintenance company 2 years ago, and just sold out to a larger company. me made bank, and still manages the company.

I currently am both employed and self employed. It is my dream to be 100% self employed one day, and truth be told I could probably do it now, but theres a value to having someone else pay for your insurance and give you paid vacations. I have a 13 year old, an 18 month old baby and another on the way, so for a few more years I'll tow the safer road. There are huge benefits to being self employed though. Make your own schedule, tax write offs, etc. But dont buy this 'you're your own boss' crap. Your customers are the boss, always and no matter what industry you're in. At least they are if you want to keep that business open.

• Like 1

Who wouldn't enjoy be a roofer? :lol: We get plenty of fresh air and sunshine (well except on tear off days). In all seriousness good luck changing trades, I have thought of doing the same thing but cant afford to.

• Like 1

Big Bucks up here in the oilfield. If You are You are young I would find a way to do it for 8-10 years ,make big bank and You could live the rest of your life real easy. Winter does suck as does most of North Dakota but it bailed Me out after the construction colapse of 6-7 years ago. Money is unreal on some jobs. There is a lot of AZ. license plates up here. Self employed was good for 20 years till things fell apart. Having some one pay the taxes and Ins. is nice. And I hunt Montana and Wyoming while up here. Nice to get paid vac. too............Good luck......................BOB!

• Like 1

It depends on your education level. Going back to school is tough, but worth it. There is always a need for teachers, especially in the CTE (Career and Technical Education) Fields. Pay is barely enough to live on, but if you have a wife that works, it will be fine. This is my 21st year at the high school. Benefits are good and so is retirement. Days off often coincide with hunts - Last year there were 3 days off during the early bull hunt, Veteran's Day is often a 4 day weekend (we have that hunt this year), Thanksgiving for rifle bull and off course 2 weeks off during the December whitetail hunt. Being home when the kids are off is a big plus too. It is easier to get certified as a CTE teacher when you have experience in the field.

^^^ Oh yeah, plus you get to watch former students play college ball....I have a few playing for UofA right now.

I've been self-employed for about 13 years now. In my opinion, it's the only way to go. First I was a medical transcriptionist and then in the construction business. I understand all the goods and bads and I'd still take self-employed over working for someone else any day.

The flexibility of being self-employed is the main reason I do it. Being self-employed has let me always be there for my kids. Then I picked up hunting and the self-employed schedule works very well with that too :)

If you can find something you really like, then your life will be easier.

• Like 1

Utility. Always looking for Water Distribution and Treatment Operators. Call ADEQ and ask for Bill or Noah and they will give you some insight on what you need and how to get it.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!