I used to hunt Qual a lot, but over the years other interests have taken priority. I used to limit almost every time. We hunted most the day and usually covered a lot of miles. I have a lot of great Quail hunting memories. Never hunted with a dog. My son is finally big enough to handle carrying a gun on his own. I'm planning on taking him a lot after school during the week and on as many weekends as possible.

Adam

I will be out opening weekend for sure! I rarely take the dog out before November, other than for training. Even though he's snakebroke, I still worry about the snakes he cant see or smell. Plus in the hot mornings, hes only good for a few hours. I have found that for Gambels, I usually make out better without the dogs. For scaled or mearns, I wont go without my dog.

There's nothing like the whirring sound of a flushing quail on a glorious fall morning! Good luck to all!

• Like 2

It's hard to get excited about quail hunting nowdays after experiencing the hayday years when I was a kid. I remember hunting Tonto Basin and the coveys would number in the hundreds. Bouquet ranch sounded like 1 giant covey from the a cross road all the way to the ranch area at the pond. There are a few birds up here around kingman but hardly enough to bother. I have never hunted over dogs. We had a few labs when I was a kid that would retrieve if they felt like it but not fully trained dogs.

• Like 1

You know where to go Billy ;)

I will definently have to give it a shot this season. Opening weekend il be down in the Sonoita area chasing some scalies trying to get my first ever scaled quail!

• Like 1

Havnt hunted quail in about 25 years. For whatever reason I'm thinking about it this year. I was never much of an accomplished wingshooter and add a 25 year old layer of rust to that. The quail have nothing to fear from me.

You know where to go Billy ;)

I will definently have to give it a shot this season. Opening weekend il be down in the Sonoita area chasing some scalies trying to get my first ever scaled quail!

theres some scaleys in the sierritas if you want someplace closer. Not nearly as scenic as sonoita though.

I have a spot I hunt every year at Tonto Basin. Some years I'm done at 8 AM w/ a limit. Some years I only have 3 birds by 10 AM. Not sure if I'll even go this year......Been going there for 28 years and probably only missed 1 or 2 openers if that.

• Like 1

how time creeps up on yah! ran into quite a few coveys, but they always seem to disappear during quail season, then i gotta make the long haul deeper into the moutains just for some birds. maybe the ones i've seen will stick around this time. Chi-Ca-Go!!!

• Like 1

I am extremely pumped about this quail season as I am taking one of my best friends my five-year-old son This year has been the first year I've started taking him on hunts with me Took him out with me for the archery turkey hunt I was not fortunate enough to get one but since it was his first hunt ever Got to say one of my best times out in the field we also went dove hunting a few times he loved it it can't wait till Saturday

• Like 3

Is quail hunting more of a morning endeavor or do you guys hunt the evenings too? I realize its slot warmer in the evening.

Quail in my experience like to warm up so I don't mess with them until after 8AM but they are pretty active all day, except for me today, LOL.

I hunted with my son in 23 South. First spot where we shot a few last year was a bust. We took A Cross road to my other spot and walked a country mile and didn't see squat, until we got back to the truck and there they were.

We chased them and threw some lead for another 30 minutes but came up empty.

The little boogers were all older birds and well educated not flying until I walked past them and a few flew like dragonfly's with their tails on fire never getting more than a few feet off the ground.

Not sure where I'm going tomorrow.

We did see a bunch of Devils Claw ready to be picked and the Pears were ripe and huge.

I killed 3 today. They were very smart. Stayed low and headed for impenetrable mesquite and salt cedars. I felt pretty good to get 3, going to be sore.