Sign in to follow this  
singleshot

Twin Spot Rattlesnake

At about two feet this is actually a pretty big one. Found him at 9000+ feet, 60 degrees out, doing fine. I think they are more tolerant of the cooler weather.

post-958-0-43152200-1411961995_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Very cool!

Seen some black king and red racer snakes at 7000 ft, but only timber rattlers at 6000 feet. Wow, 9000 feet?

I work at over 10,000, every day. Found a smaller Twin Spot in the building once. The timber rattlers your seeing might actually be Black Tailed Rattlesnakes. I have seen several of those around the 9000 foot mark also. They can get pretty big in the " sky islands ". Data says max of 4 feet but we have seen a couple that are very conservatively over 5.

• Like 1

My UT place is at 7000'. Saw a filly come in from a pasture with a fresh snake bite on her leg so I walked down the trail she had just used and there was a ;rattler still coiled up next to the trail. They are better acclimated, it was fall with patchy snow on the ground and about 45-50 *F out.

Don't let your guard down just cuz you think it's too high or too cool out.

Nice Pic. Glad it was you that found it! I Hate buzz tails!

Not safe at any elevation in AZ!

Guest 300ultramag.

i saved my ex wife at 7600 feet from a timber rattler.... she was walking on a dirt road talking it up on a cell phone and never saw the snake.... being the super hero that I am I intervened and saved the would be snake bit damsel....

now that i am down to zero boats (from 2) a 4x4 truck less... after a divorce with her... I think that rattler might have been on my side.. sorry Mr. Snake... My bad

• Like 3

Did not realize there was a place in that far southeast corner of the state that was 9000 feet... As far as Timber rattlesnakes, we do not have them in Arizona, most likely A black Rattlesnake or Black Tailed Rattlesnake.

Guest 300ultramag.

hey I was in the timber! what gives????

beauty of a snake.... what was the name of that Metallica Album about snakes???

hey I was in the timber! what gives????

beauty of a snake.... what was the name of that Metallica Album about snakes???

Ultramag we have plenty of rattlesnakes that live in the timber, just not actual Timber Rattlesnakes (the species) you can look up their home range it begins in east texas and goes to the coast as far north as parts of New York, and as far south as Upper Florida.... Most of the time what we call Timber Rattlers in AZ are Black and Black Tailed Rattlers

• Like 1