Sign in to follow this  
Hunter4Life09

HELP PLEASE

Ok so I have a Remington 700 7mm bdl. I had a muzzle break put on first thing. I have it topped with a vortex viper 6.5x20x50. The stock is factory I'm planning on changing it right after my hunt at the end of the month. I reloaded some berger vld 168 grain with 68 grains of h1000 powder and for some reason I'm having trouble getting this gun sighted in. I will shoot a couple shots high then a few shots low then I will get it where I think I want it, won't touch the scope, take another shot and I'm 2 or 3 inches to the right or high or low. Not sure what is going on just getting frustrated any advice would be greatly appreciated

post-4030-0-26792000-1412640157_thumb.jpg

Check out my post, Sendero nightmare. I had a similar problem and finally figured out that the screw holes were tapped crooked for the scope bases. Hope thats not your problem because you may have to send it back. Good luck.

I am assuming this is at 100 yards right! 2-3 inches is a lot. Are you shooting from a sled/ stand or is it off your shoulder and tri pod? When I shoot from the shoulder on a tri pod or bag I'll be in 2-3 in grouping at 100 and be around 3-4 at 200'yards. I'm not the most advid shooter but that's what I get shooting off the shoulder. Off the sled strapped down I'll be an 1" or less. If you are using the sled maybe your mounts are not totally tighten down. That my guess. I'm new to loading so I have no advice with the powder. Good luck

Try another scope. I recently had a similar problem that ended up being a bad scope.

Plus one on everything mentioned above. Could be a loose muzzle break. If it's loose will cause change of impact. A small spot of nail Polish will allow you to make sure it isn't moving.

Hot vs cool barrel. As barrels warm and cool the POI can change.

Perhaps the gun just doesn't like the load but overall change of POI would have me guessing something else is wrong.

Could even be faulty scope that isn't holding true if everything else is nice and tight.

I second what everyone else said. #1 suspect would be scope or the mounting of the scope, it would take a really rotten barrel to be that bad

See this is what's frustrating me is I just took this scope off of my 300wsm and it was hitting milk jugs at 600 yards then I put the scope on my 7 and I can barley keep it on a 12 inch plate at 100 yards

i had a problem with the same scope and send it to vortex and the scope did not hold the zero.so they fixed it for me and it was good after that.

What made you settle on that particular load?

Did it group good during load development but change when you tried sighting it in?

Who did the brake and what type of crown?

Did you clean it really good after the brake was installed?

Is the brake tight and how many rounds through it?........Dirty crown?

How confident are you on the sled?

Have you had someone else shoot it to see what happens?

Remington's usually come with that pressure point on the front of the stock. If that's the case, pull the stock off and float your barrel. Also, play with the action screws. My Remington's like 40 inch/lbs front and 35 inch/lbs rear.

What I would do in order:

1) Ditch the led sled. You have a brake (I'd ditch the brake too but whatever). You going to drag the led sled to the field to shoot?

2) Get rid of plastic stock and upgrade. A front bipod and a sled with an unbedded cheap factory stock is disastrous.

3) Bed new stock.

4) Get reliable mounts/rings and a scope that accurately tracks. Have you checked the tracking of your scope?

5) Do not overtighten the mount screws for your scope. "Farmer tight" is usually too tight and can/will bind the erector causing erratic jumping during adjustments.

Does your rife even like that load? You are drawing conclusions on reasons why your rifle is shooting to your standards when there are lots of standard stuff you have overlooked. Start over with your thought process is my advice.

Good luck -