joelpresmyk8

Scope base for remington 700

I have a remington 700 and I am looking for input on a good base for my new scope I am gonna put on. One piece? Two? What do you guys think? Thank you!

I just ordered a one piece base for my tikka from DNZ products. Haven't got to shoot with it yet, but overall I'm impressed with the quality of it.

One piece. One of the most important parts of a long range system. Look at Seekins, Badger, Nightforce. I use a Seekins titanium.

You didn't say what caliber, scope or if you are going to try to set it up for long range or just plain old general hunting. I have standard two piece Leupold bases with the adjustable windage rear base and the dovetail front on a 700 in 7mag. Works well for what I do but I have not had any shot opportunities much past 250 yards.

I has a Leupold VX2 4x12 scope in it for 19 years and last year went to a Zeiss 3x15 with a Rapid Z800 Reticle. Talley makes some nice lightweight rings and bases but if you are looking to setup for 800-1500 yards you will probably want a one piece and I think that a 20MOA should work but since I don't know enough about Long Range Setups you might want to tell us what you plans are and what scope you plan on using so someone with more expertise/knowledge can chime in.

Hey thanx for the input everyone and im sorry! I will be shooting relatively long (for me) out to 600 on the remington 700 30-06. Have a vortex viper 6-24x50 that will be mounted. Wanted a rock solid base for maximum accuracy

With a 700 long action and vortex 6-24x50 PST go with A Seekins 20 MOA one piece rail with Seekins 4/4 or 4/6 screw medium height rings. It's a great combination your your exact setup.

Honestly, with shooting out to even 1K+, there is really no need for a 20MOA scope base. You can get away with any scope base. I would suggest a one piece though, as they help stiffen it up and with less pieces, it gives less chance for something to loosen up.

True. There are some cases that would require a 20MOA base to get to 1K. Like slower velocity, low BC, heavy bullets.

OP stated he is shooting at 600 with a .30-06 and a 6-24x50 Vortex Viper, which has 42MOA of adjustment, so maybe 21 MOA or so up. Depending on load with BC, bullet weight and velocity, that should get him at least 900yds. or so, maybe more.

Only issue I see, is with "only" 42MOA of total adjustment, with a 20MOA base, he might run out adjustment if the crosshairs are not centered in the adjustment range for sight in. We all know that dead center of adjustment range is rarely at the same place as actual sight in. If it is perfect, he would have 2 MOA of down adjustment, and 40 of up. I have also heard of a few Vortex scopes failing from pressure on the springs in the turrets while using 20MOA bases, as there is too much pressure being constantly loaded on them. Not just Vortex either, but some really high end glass.

I like a two piece on a hunting rifle especially if it has a blind magazine and you have to unload the rifle by cycling the bolt. Shouldn't need a 20 moa base on this rig at all especially only out to 600. I would suggest getting a set of the Burris signature zee rings that come with additional 10 moa inserts. That way you have the option of adding more if you need it.

• Like 1