AZHog

.270Win or Weatherby 7MM for Cow Hunt

Let me preface this by saying I am not a very good hunter, but I really enjoy it. I usually only get out one or two weeks a year for big game. A week for whitetail in Arkansas and hopefully a week for cow elk here in AZ whenever drawn.

I am debating which gun to use for a late season unit 9 cow hunt. the first is a Remington Classic chambered in Weatherby 7mm. It seems like this would be the obvious choice because of the knockdown power. However, I really like the second gun. The second gun is a Sako Finnlight 85 in .270win. The .270 is lighter and has been the most accurate gun I've ever owned. I'm planning on doing a fair amount of walking, so the lighter gun appeals to me. Both have the same scope, so no preference on the optics. Since I'm hunting in Unit 9, I want to use lead-free ammo. I have lead-free Barnes 130gr TSX for the .270, but have had a hard time finding lead free for the Weatherby 7mm.

All said, I'd really like to use the .270. I realize a lot depends on the shot placement. I don't feel comfortable shooting out past 300yards, so most likely won't be taking any really long shots. Do you think the 130gr .270 is sufficient for a cow elk, or would I be better off going with the Weatherby 7mm?

• Like 1

Both of my boys have killed cows with 130 grain core lokt 270. Both cows dropped in their tracks. Good luck.

• Like 1

Guest wdenike

Hog,

I'll probably get torched for this by some, so flame away. Gun manufactures invent calibers on a regular basis. For one reason and one reason only. They are chumming for tunas. That have to have the latest greatest and most expensive new item. As ballistics haven't really changed on most calibers over the years. This applies to everything we play with. Dad use to say a sucker born everyday none die. Actually pretty good gig if your selling chit. The calibers you are talking about. You could probably also add the Remington 7mm to also. I have always said both the 7mm rem. and the Weatherby 7mm were souped up .270 Winchesters. Check the ballistics on the three. Little faster, little heavier bullet, and a few more foot pounds. If I owned none of the above and didn't reload I'd probably opt for the 7mm rem. If I reloaded I may consider the Weatherby. But probably not, because a lot more cost even reloading for very little gain. But one of the two simply to get the most, and best for my dollar. But if I already owned a .270. They probably wouldn't get any of my money. Unless I just desired another gun, and nothing wrong with that. :D But you appear to have access to both. So either I would flip a coin or go with the one ya shoot the best. As ya dang sure won't be behind the eight ball with either.

Take care, Willie

• Like 2

You answered your own question with the 270 "is the most accurate gun I have ever owned". Plenty of gun and your confidence level will make it your best choice.

• Like 2

What wdenike Said ... If you shoot the .270 best that is the gun you go for since shot placement with either is going to determine how far you have to track .... My dad has used his .270 for dozens of elk over the years switched one year to 7mm rem and spent most of the hunt cussing the gun after a few missed shots ... He pulled out the .270 he has shot 30 plus years on the second to last day and filled his tag with one shot... Part mental, part mechanics of putting so many rounds through the .270, but none the less it took him from cursing to smiling.

• Like 1

Flip a coin or which ever ammo is cheaper

• Like 2

270 is more than enough for cow elk. would not hesitate shooting any big game in arizona with a 130grn 270 bullet, even through the shoulder. keep your shot within your comfort zone and have fun. i recently switched from a long range custom rifle back to a featherweight 270, because i got tired of packing that heavy rifle. now i have a $3500 paper weight that sits in the safe. shot a muley last year that wasn't much smaller than a cow elk at about 300 yards. did not know what hit him. i am comfortable out to about 600 yards with it, and would not hesitate shooting anything

• Like 2

BowHuntAZ,

I would like to shoot a 150gr, but I wasn't able to find any 150gr lead-free factory ammo. I don't hunt or shoot enough to justify reloading, so it looks like I'll be shooting 130gr. but from what I'm hearing, 130gr should still do the job.

Thanks everyone for the feedback and insight! Sounds like the .270 is more than enough for a cow elk. Since I really like the .270, I'll be carrying it in the woods in unit 9 in early December. Can't wait to get back out chasing cows and hopefully filling the freezer. Hope to see some of you up there.

Thanks,

Mike

If your going to stay under 300yds it really doesn't matter. If your set on using 130s, don't let anyone talk you out of the barnes x.

• Like 2

I wouldn't hunt anything with that Sako finnlight 270. I'll buy it from you cheap so you won't have to make a decision.😀

Either cartridge will easily kill a cow elk, use the one you shoot the best.

• Like 1

I wouldn't hunt anything with that Sako finnlight 270. I'll buy it from you cheap so you won't have to make a decision.

Either cartridge will easily kill a cow elk, use the one you shoot the best.

Appreciate the offer Havasuhunter, but I wouldn't want to burden you with a plastic gun (as my wife calls it). B) It was a 50th birthday present a few years back primarily to hunt whitetail. I was concerned it might be a little light for elk, but after everyone's feedback, I'm really looking forward to taking it cow hunting in 2 months.

• Like 1

Good choice, but 7 weatherby is awesome too. Bet that'd be one heck of a long range round.

• Like 1

Count me as another guy that has complete confidence in using a 130 grain .270 round for anterless elk.

• Like 1