Sign in to follow this  
firstcoueswas110

thinking its "funny" to kill a deer

ok slight rant, i was reading some comments on the "Coues Hunting" FB group. apparently im not a hunter because i dont find it "funny" or 'bad butt" that a semi smashed a deer and left us with a gruesome pic. am i that far off base? i mean ive killed lots of animal, never thought it was funny. i thought serial killers think its "funny" to kill animals. idk maybe its nothing but i thought that was kind of disturbing that someone would have that reaction

• Like 7

No your not off base. Some people have no clue and just kill to kill something or see something dead. Depending on your religious beliefs we are given the opertunity to hunt to feed our family. If you have no remorse to seeing anything dead you need to get your head checked. Those types of people tend to not have any appreciation for anything

• Like 7

I think it's very disrespectful and disturbing. I've never killed anything that didn't leave me with a feeling of sadness. They're beautiful animals, it's a sad thing to see them die. But that feeling fades and is replaced by the satisfaction that one gets from hard work and from being able to put food on the table the old fashioned way. Meat doesn't grow on trees and I don't feel guilty about acting out the role in which nature has cast me.

• Like 7

I know of one individual who loves to hunt,...but then would donate all of the meat if he got something. Thrill of the chase maybe?

I feel it is unsportsman of anyone not to respect the animal that they just harvested, dove to buffalo. I guess it really comes down to "why" we hunt. I mean obviously 42.50 (or whatever a turkey tag costs nowadays) would go further on a grocery bill than a chance at finding an animal. Not to mention the inherit costs of fuel, clothing, food for camp, and time spent.

I see it as this. Nature is a symphony. With each individual sensory item an instrument. The way a pine cone sounds falling from a tree, what a blue jay sounds like, what fresh sap from a rub sounds like, how a pine tree smells from any other plant. Then add in the sensory items from an animal. what does a turkey cluck sound like, what does a crow cackle... to what does a squirrel bark sound like on alert. The sound of an elk walking through the trees. the smell of a javelina. What it sounds like to step on dry leaves, vs pine needles

take all these things to make that harmony of natures....

... and then take one jack wagon standing in the middle of it clapping to a rhythm only they know. This is that hunter. It is the hunters "piece" in the performance... to not only make that clapping be part of the same symphony... but to blend in so well that it would be missed without it.

At least that's my philosophy of why I hunt. It's not just being out in nature, and experiencing it... it is being part of it on a higher more interrelated connection.

-------------

Or you can be like the morons that I came across in 23 two weeks ago (well not them, never seen them, but I did see their remnants....) found the prized bull they got. I know they tagged out... because they took the back straps and head... left the rest to rot. Pretty much ruined my own trip that moment on. Wasn't a difficult recovery with it being about 10 yards from the forest road on the high hills without any trees around.

Some people are just idiots

• Like 2

Facebook:The epitome of the American Exceptionalism decline in this country.

• Like 3

I think it's very disrespectful and disturbing. I've never killed anything that didn't leave me with a feeling of sadness. They're beautiful animals, it's a sad thing to see them die. But that feeling fades and is replaced by the satisfaction that one gets from hard work and from being able to put food on the table the old fashioned way. Meat doesn't grow on trees and I don't feel guilty about acting out the role in which nature has cast me.

Thought I was the only 1. :) ya I get little sad and have even thought about quitting cuzof Iit but hard work and full freezer keeps me chugging along

• Like 3

There is nothing "funny" about death. Those folks are dopes.

I see the awesomeness of a deer vs semi. Doesn't mean I want to kill deer with a semi.

Lighten up guys, other than the story about leaving all but the back straps and head of an elk that sucks.

• Like 4

Unless it's a useless yote or rattlesnake, right? This debate can deep pretty quickly.

i see what youre saying, but even when i blast a coyote i dont start laughing. i might smile with excitement, or show some joy after a kill, but im not thinking wow that was hilarious and laughing about how his brain fell out. i enjoy hunting, killing is part of it. seems like some people get off on the killing.

I downed a cow elk in 27 decades ago. My dad pushed a small herd thru the brush at me and next thing I know I was in the middle of a stampede.

Wheeled around and shot a departing elk in the behind, the bullet travelled along under her spine so she didn't die instantly.

When I got to her, she laid looking towards her departed herd while crying, sounded a lot like a human baby.

Pointed my rifle at her head and dad said don't shoot, she'll be dead soon. I disobeyed and ended her suffering

Will carry that image and sounds with me the rest of my life.

Wow... I laugh all the time when dove hunting with my boys and friends when something funny happens with a shot. Laughed a lot growing up with my brother hunting prairie dogs and squirrels up in WA. I have even laughed at something funny that happened on big game hunts. If it's funny, laugh at it. I had no idea I was such a sociopath or idiot - thanks for enlightening me.

I do not feel sadness when I kill an animal I am hunting, I feel proud to be a part of my families traditions, honored to be sharing the outdoors and those hunting experiences with the people I love, satisfaction sometimes of a long planned and scouted hunt that ended with meat in the freezer - I won't apologize for enjoying every second of it.

If you are so self important that you are going to openly criticize fellow hunters because they can laugh at funny things that happen, you would be doing all sportsmen a favor by keeping your bashing to your commiserating buddies. You are the hunters that the anti crowd love to feature on their cover pages... "Even this lifelong hunter knows deep down that what they are doing is wrong."

Lighten up - I'll let you know when I need you to tell me how I should feel. Sheesh!

• Like 3