AverageJoe

I dont understand

I dont understand why on hunting shows almost every animal they shoot with a rifle or muzzleloader runs off 100-200 yds or more before crashing. I have shot many elk and deer with a rifle or muzzleloader and none of them have gone more than a few steps if that.

Do people back east on whitetail get taught to shoot them in a different area? Do they just use fmj's or what is the deal? Anyone else notice this? Seems like its only back east whitetail shows where this occurs.

Maybe they are lacing the food plots with cocaine for a better show?

• Like 2

because back east isnt hunting... IMO

What makes you say that?

Just keep telling yourself "its only a movie". Kirk Douglas once said to Johnny Cash "We need more gun control". Johnny said back "you portray a gunslinger". Kirk says "ya but that is just make believe". Johnny says "no that is make money".

Guest 300ultramag.

because back east isnt hunting... IMO

What makes you say that?

they dont have coues!

I agree back east isnt much of hunting. More like sitting and shooting. But hey if it makes them happy then what the heck.

• Like 2

Probably has more to do with the bullets used and shot placement. Back east bow hunting is much more prominent judging by 9 out of 10 hunting shows being filmed bow hunts. If you notice most rifle hunts we do see are sponsored by Barnes or nosler. Couple the fact that shots are rarely more than 100 yards placed behind the shoulder in a typical arrow placement using bullets designed to poke a hole fired from a magnum rifle with really high velocities into a deer less than a foot wide at the ribs equals a lot of energy expended into the dirt behind the animal. I think what we are seeing is the bullet not having time to open up and work properly in the soft tissue of deer resulting in a deer running a ways before they even realize they are dead. In episodes ive watched where the hunter takes a quartering shot or puts it through the shoulders results have been better and quicker due the bullet working better in more animal. Just my thoughts.

• Like 2

3 out of 4 eastern whitetails I shot dropped on the spot or within maybe 25 yards. The 4th dropped and then jumped up and ran after a couple minutes (should have put another round in hindsight) That's with a 20ga slug at about 50yds, 270 at 100-125yds (one of those jumped and ran), and 30-06 at about 75yds (learned my lesson with the other one and gave that one an extra round and lost some meat).

Watching my girls shoot their deer this past week.....Deer 1 shot at 80-90 yards quartering away, fell at the shot then got up and ran 20 yards and died. Deer 2 shot at 160 yards broadside, was classic jump and buck the back legs and ran 100 yards and died. Shot was in front of shoulder and exited out opposite shoulder.

I can't and won't. And grew up in PA. till I was 21 in 1977. The only thing Iv'e hunted back there since is spring Turkey. For My north Americam slam Had to get a Eastern Tom from where I was born................BOB!

I agree back east isnt much of hunting. More like sitting and shooting. But hey if it makes them happy then what the heck.

I actually agree with you, I was asking 300 why he thought that to build off my comment made in the post about spot and stalk or blind and tree stand sitting. I say that because it takes absolutely zero skill set to sit on your a$$ in a ground blind or in a tree stand over water and kill something. Someone actually tried to say that it's not easy finding a spot to put a ground blind or tree stand, any numb skull could figure out to set it next to water or near a large game trail.

Anyways, I agree, back east "hunting" isn't really hunting. It's waiting and killing. My favorite part is when they get dressed up in all the camo and all the scent cover sprays and then go sit in an elevated blind over a corn field with windows and a heater. Go get 'em! Haha

• Like 2

Guest akaspecials

All my family and friends in the Southern US take neck shots. They drop quick, but the tv guys don't like to show them on tv.

Some of them use 22 mags behind the ear too. Illegal, won't be shown on TV, but damned effective.

They also may be using smaller calibers instead if the bazookas most of us use out here.