Sign in to follow this  
rclouse79

Colorado Bull Elk

I was fortunate to go on a Colorado elk hunt for five days with a good friend and two of his buddies. We got into elk and had close calls more days than not. We didn't get a lot of hunting in the second day due to a snow storm, but the tracks in the snow led us to the area where I ended up shooting my bull. At first light we were sitting on an open south facing slope about half way down glassing into the sparse timber on the north side of the draw. There was a huge amount of area to glass and we spent the first half hour scanning through the trees. I was glassing with one guy and the other two were straight across from us about one hundred yards. I looked over to see what they were doing and some movement caught my eye in the aspens and downed timber along the ridge. I was shocked to see a bull feeding along behind the trees directly above the other two hunters in our party. They were fifty yards away from the bull and they had no idea he was there. I got prone and waited for him to clear the tree. His head popped out and I sent a bullet from my 270 into his neck and through his spine. I saw hooves in the air through my scope and he never moved another inch. Based on his antlers it looked like the fights during the rut had done a number on him. I could not have been happier to harvest this bull. After packing him out I know I need to be in better shape the next time I go elk hunting. Despite my legs being shot I stuck around to help the other guys on the last day of the season and ended up having the pleasure of packing out part of another bull. Even though it was a tough hunt I would not have changed a thing about it.

post-3890-0-92509100-1413604421_thumb.jpg

post-3890-0-37231900-1413604473_thumb.jpg

post-3890-0-45017500-1413604481_thumb.jpg

post-3890-0-65193500-1413604513_thumb.jpg

post-3890-0-64802700-1413604623_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Congratulations and thanks for sharing the story and pics!

Nice! Way to get it done!

Very Nice Colorado Bull. I love hunting the Cimarron, Colorado area. Beautiful very high mesas. Deep narrow canyons with water running through them. And you almost always get to hunt with some snow on the ground.