Sign in to follow this  
Edge

bargain buck

Helped some friends out with their hunt so missed much of my own. Hauled gear and water in, and a mule that had been abandoned on the trail a month earlier, joined us.

Made it over to my gmu with 3 days left. First morning, climbed a mesa and saw good sign. At noon got a shot at a nice buck but much brush did bless him.

Next morning me and Mike went back up the mesa and glassed it good. 30 minutes later a deer appears on the opposite end of the mesa and slooooooowly browsed towards us. Guess he didn't see us two ninjas in black cowboy hats.

At about 300 yards, we had given up on seeing a bigger buck and this spike was about to jump off the mesas edge so I thought I would help him down with 158 grains of reloads I've had lying around since the mid 1960s.

The old Gamemaster meatpole is about 60 years old and nobody has messed with that Weaver 1.5 X 4 in 50 years.

Ok so I'm one cheap sob. Ate leftover pizza and complained about my used boots from Goodwill. But got er done for about $50.

Afterwards, Mike treated me to a great roast and a nice trail ride. Oh, and thanks for demonstrating the gutless method.

post-11051-0-14935000-1414701188_thumb.jpg

post-11051-0-27675600-1414701283_thumb.jpg

post-11051-0-15691500-1414701383_thumb.jpg

post-11051-0-74151600-1414701973_thumb.jpg

post-11051-0-12868400-1414702155_thumb.jpg

post-11051-0-76216500-1414702268_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

My computer is giving me issues.

how much for the gamemaster and scope rig? quick-before lark see's this post......

lee

928-207-0432

ps...i just made the photo of the spike and the gamemaster my desktop-class can we spell 'obsessed'?

• Like 1

is that there magazine legal? looks like something that came out of the Machine Gun Kelly collection.

I love the romance of carrying the old rifle over hill and dale. But then, I enjoy splitting logs with a maul. The Stith scope mounts insure you can drop that gun into the San Francisco River Canyon without knocking the alignment off. This happened in the 1970"s.

Bought the magazine on eBay, its meant to send Coyotes and mules a message down south

• Like 2

There is something to be said for being smart on money, I think Tim has this figured out. You dont need to spend a ton of cash or buy a bunch of crap just to hunt. Most of us have everything we need to go easily but for some reason we (myself included) need to hit the store to get ready. I am learning alot on how to just get out there and take some game down without mega planning and spending. Some could learn alot from Tim on how to handle money and keep it in your pocket instead of spending it on every gadget that is on the market.

Great hunt and great shot Tim. I think I was more excited than he was. Cant wait for some Backstrap Marsala with a caper and challot balsamic reduction. I believe Tim doesn't have to reply to the if you could have just one post????

• Like 1

We po folk have to be frugal despite this roaring economy (puke), can barely afford to pay attention...

Besides Mike, what good are all those gadgets when you drive off and leave em on the kitchen counter...lol

Sounds delicious, Mike just let us know when you're putting the feedbags on. Too bad there aint enough for everybody on Coueswhitetail.com to sample.

Glad you came along on the hunt with your kill kit. Without ya, I would've had to toss ol Bambi's carcass over the mesa cliff then looked for him down below.

Sorry Biglakejake

Pop may be 88, but he'd kick my tail if I sold that gun.

is that there magazine legal? looks like something that came out of the Machine Gun Kelly collection.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

I don't think they have a magazine capacity limit anymore for big game and predator hunting.