GRONG

Decent coues shed

I found this shed after a long day of shed hunting. We were walking back to the truck and it was almost completely dark when I walked within about 3-4' of it before I saw it. LUCKY!! Probably the best coues shed I've found in a while. I'm guessing the buck would go close to 100" if the other side matched.

post-3-1173676485_thumb.jpg

post-3-1173676549_thumb.jpg

post-3-1173676594_thumb.jpg

Nice one, Josh. :)

I'm hopin' it will be my turn to post some "bone pics" this week!!!

Awesome! It may just be me, but there is something different about finding a Coues shed or even just seeing Josh's pics of that one. I get more excited finding a Coues shed than I do finding a big brownie Elk shed and alot more excited than finding any Muley shed! Hey Josh, what determines whether or not you sell a shed or keep it? Do you keep all your Coues sheds? Seems like it would take a bunch to make any money off the little antlers. Awesome shed ;) you look like you've been huntin/hikin hard! JIM>

Atta boy! YOur doing awesome this season. Can't wait til the elk really stop dropping and see what you bring back.

Appreciate all the comments guys. You're right that it is a little better than decent but after seeing what Littlebear & Co found today it looks like a dink.... just wait, he'll post pics of that pig on here sooner or later.

Bret, you're probably right but I did find a 108" rack in the area several years ago that had matching points in that same general area so you never know.

And Jim I NEVER sell any of my coues sheds! I'd sell most of my best elk antlers before I did something like that. Like you say, there's just something about them little fellas. Over the past 18 years of "sheddin" I've collected about 150 or so sheds, I guess that'd work out to about 8/yr on avg.

I hit it pretty dang hard on Fri and saw about 25 bulls, 6 had no antlers. I kept my distance from them and shed hunted around them and found 3 old chalks, one year old shed and finally my first brown one. Did glass up a decent year old shed but it was right among the bulls so I left it there till next time.

Saturday I glassed up a set and two singles. I hiked clear to the bottom of the canyon, again, for the set only to find out it was way chalked out so I left them. It was a nice 335" 6x6, bummer! I think for now on I'm gonna leave my binos at home cause they sure make me hike a lot.

post-3-1173684305_thumb.jpg

post-3-1173683954_thumb.jpg

Hiked around and my friend Gail and I each found a shed off of a year old heavy 5x5 set. Probably 8lbs a piece I'd guess. The hike out was NASTY! Brush was way over our heads in places. That's why it took us so long to get the heck out of there.

Here's Gail hiking out with the big 5x5 set.

post-3-1173684114_thumb.jpg

post-3-1173684158_thumb.jpg

Josh,

Are all your shirts orange or do you just wear the same one every day? LOL!

That's it Darren!!!!!!!! No more of those late nights together measuring wt racks!! You're CUT OFF!

Alright Darren, I just went back and looked at all the pics I've posted in the past 3 weeks and no other pics show me in an orange shirt other than these new ones. I think you may have to many gall stones fogging your memory........

Josh

You sure do have some killer spots to shed hunt! Looks like killer hike out with those big ones.

Hey, by the way I saw a show on discovery last night about bloodhounds. They tried to lose one with all the tricks in the book. Y'know.. crossing a creek, zig zagging, back tracking, coffee and cologne cover scent, changing clothes and bathing, and even the cool hand luke, black pepper. Thought of you and your dogs out after a mtn lion. Almost felt sorry for the lion when the hounds get a scent trail. ALMOST....

Josh,

Darren is right...you wear an orange shirt alot....check out the pages in the ellsworth/epperson shed collection gallery....like page 1.... http://www.coueswhitetail.com/ellsworth_co..._collection.htm

or maybe like page 2.....or page 3.... http://www.coueswhitetail.com/ellsworth_co...ellsworth_3.htm

But it's ok, it's an orange shirt, but not the same one, so you must have a collection of them :lol:

Amanda