Sign in to follow this  
Bryson Bendall

Big bucks... What does it take?

for big MD bucks and bull elk, spotlighting (without a weapon in your vehicle) can be helpful.

• Like 2

Guest 300ultramag.

ya none of these Tucson or unit 22/24b city guys ever kill big bucks.

Do they kill them in the city? or do the kill them on the side of a mountain?

Wow, most of you guys make it sound like you have to be rich, unethical, or both to kill big bucks. Try working hard and spending more time in the field than on coueswhitetail.com .

Well the rich part is becoming true as much as things cost these days. But really, to spend time in th field does cost some coin. Gas for one, ever more so if its a unit not close by. Gear. Binos. I buy Vortex cause I cant justify right now in my life spending more on Swaros, Leicas, etc. Too many other priorities in life at the moment. But thats money too. In my opinion luck is a big part of it, even for those who are out all the time. I know some guys who outfit and even they have hard time killing big trophy deer sometimes. Theyll find a huge buck(muley or coues) and watch it for months only to have it disappear a month before the hunt to never be seen again. Ive known a few people whose had this happen. Thats luck, bad luck. But it happens. Sometimes like they say, its better to be lucky then good.

• Like 1

I don't think anyone hunts on central and 7th ave for four legged deer but whoever does I'm sure is thanking for your insight

for bull elk, flying your unit in an airplane prior to your hunt with gps in hand is an effective strategy.

what about using night vision equipment during early bull elk hunts?

ok, this will be my last one, maybe. \"/

The answer is all of the above and add luck. That will be the best that you can do. Finding a buddy that has the knack will improve your chances. The knack is something that is intangible. My son has it and I taught him how to hunt but he is so much better than me. It is a skill that some people have that sets them above others plus hard work.

• Like 2

Guest 300ultramag.

I don't think anyone hunts on central and 7th ave for four legged deer but whoever does I'm sure is thanking for your insight

ahh you concede!

back pack hunting or better yet, having your camp packed into a remote spot by someone with horses or mules can help.

I rode the light rail there for 2 legged deer once, quality was poor.

Small racks?

I've seen some fair size ones around there, but you may want your doctor to be on stand-by with a double dose of penicillin. No crying, play like a champ. :mellow: