Sign in to follow this  
Bryson Bendall

Big bucks... What does it take?

Let me preface this by saying that I would be the first to agree that the score of a deer, and to be honest, the fact that you harvest a deer is not the only reason I hunt... There is so much more that I love about hunting then just antler... But, I would be deceiving you if I didn't say that antlers aren't part of the fun..

That being said...I knew it would be a busy fall/winter for me so I opted to buy a bonus point rather than put in for deer this year. I have been out 3 days on three different hunts... I know... pitiful, but I am grateful for those few days. So... in a way I have been living vicariously through each of your posts. It has been a great year so far with some beautiful deer taken and I can't help but notice that some of you dedicated hunters take trophy deer every year. I have been hunting coues deer for about 14 years and I have seen a few nice bucks while out and about... lets say 7-10 bucks that would score around 100 inches. However, I have never laid eyes on anything like some of the bucks you regularly harvest. So... what does it take?

How many hours do you spend in the field a year?

How far do you hike from the roads? 1 mile...2, 3?

Do you hike in in the morning and hike out in the evening or do you typically pack in and stay a few days?

Do you go to the same spot every year and harvest nice deer (maybe the same square mile or two for example) or do you hunt different units or different areas in the same unit?

Do you scout to find a specific buck, and then hunt them specifically?

Do you use trail cameras?

When you are out there hunting, are the bigger bucks typically bedded down when you find them? Are thy in the thickest cover?

When you are at work and supposed to be working but instead you are cruising around on google earth to find monster buck country, what do you look for? away from roads? Cover? A certain side of the hill? funnels?

I am sure there are a lot more questions I could ask but lets start with that. If you don't feel like exposing the answers to these questions to the world I would really appreciate a PM. Thanks Guys and Girls!

B

• Like 1

Yes, I would also like to know these secrets. Haha

I agree with the above. Pay lots of money to an outfitter, sit at home and let them do the work for you. Pay enough money and you can kill record class animals every year. Heck, pay enough and you can get a posse picture with 15-20 guys that were glassing the hill for you as you slept, had your gun put on "the claw" and all you had to do is pull the trigger. Yep. That's how to find them big bucks and bulls. $$$$$$$$$$

• Like 2

Spend every waking hour scouting all year long, never take a vacation unless its to hunt, find an area with everything needed to support good genetics, be a few miles off the road before sun up and back to the truck after sun down, hang cameras, don't tell people where your spot is or post revealing pictures online, hunt areas that most people wouldn't. That's what I'd do if I couldn't afford to pay a guide or if I didn't work 12 hours a day. Good luck.

Quality equipment, days in the field year around. Hard work often pays off.

I am not one of those who can be in the field multiple times a week throughout the year. We raised my children in the outdoors as much as we could. The "bug" bit two of them. My son is a part time college student and is part time employed. The rest of his time is spent in the field. He spends his money on the best gear, and is dedicated to his craft.

On top of this, many years ago my wife and I made the choice to raise our family in rural Arizona rather than chasing the bigger money in the Phoenix area. This lifestyle lends itself to being in the outdoors easily and often. Instead of a Saturday at the mall, stadium, or soccer fields we will take the dogs for a run while cutting a truck load of firewood or hike to a hilltop to glass as the sun goes down. After work and my 5 minute commute, I am able to drive another five minutes to hunt some dove or quail.

For us it comes down to desire, accessibility, equipment, time in the field and dedication. My son has all of these and I am the lucky fool that gets to tag along sometimes.

• Like 5

Here's what I'm learning and this is all coming from a person who has never taken a big buck. People like salt licks, use game cameras, and sit over the licks. This takes years to establish a good salt lick (used to be corn before that was made illegal, although people still use it). I've also been told by hunters that they use hay (still using it). I've never really understood it, but once I put camo on or tell people I hunt, the stories just flow from their mouths about the good and not so good things they do while hunting. There are some things people do to get big bucks that they will never share here online.

I have heard of people flying very low in canyons in an ultralight to spot bucks, marking the spot with their gps and then hiking in later to find them.

A key to a locked gate

This can be a very successful way to consistently kill quality bucks.

• Like 1

There are plenty of DIY folks who kill and chase big deer every year. You have to have a sick passion and be plenty stubborn.

You have to have available time to scout and be in the field. You have to be a super glasser, not afraid to hike the biggest mountain and walk back to the truck in the dark for miles.

People can say you need luck but doing lots of little things adds up to you making your own luck.

• Like 1

I want to start out by saying I don't think I have a slew of stud bucks under my belt. But here is my school of thought.

1. Drawing tags in the right units is a good start.

2. Knowing where to hunt in those units is another factor.

3. Time in the field, whether it be in one season, or over 20 years, and knowing where the bucks are before season opener, and where they will head once the first shot is heard.

4. Good glass to find the deer once you know where they will be in general.

5. Know their weather patterns. Hot and dry, find remote water. Wet, look for bedding areas. Hot, look at shade. North facing slopes always seem best for me.

6. Get away from roads. Even 1 or two ridges/canyons away will be much more productive after people start flooding into an area.

7. Loving wife who LETS you spend time out in the field.

8. Patience and persistence, and a good mental attitude.

9. Be in shape.

10. Luck.

11. If you shoot a little buck, you will never shoot a big buck. You need to be prepared to go home empty handed if you really are holding out for a big buck. Don't shoot a buck on the last day you would not have shot on the first if you are after a bruiser.

Sure, lots of money can buy you a guide service every year, but, in MY opinion, that is a bit like cheating. On the other hand, if I had a lot of money, I would do it too. Can't blame a guy for spending money on what he loves to do.