Sign in to follow this  
pstrman

24B Scouting

I am not familiar with this area at all. I'm planning a scoutning trip there and was wondering if the road off Reavis tralhead would be a good place to start. Looki. ng at Google earth it seems to lead to some good looking areas but I don't. I was also thinking going further up 88 to see whats there. Any help would be appreciated. Planning to go in the morning early for first trip. Maybe place a camera or two.

Thanks

Bryan

• Like 1

Keep in mind you cannot place cameras in wilderness which is where you are thinking of going. I was up there in that general area for the last weeks hunt and just about anywhere with mountains in that unit had whitetail. Mule deer don't ask me cuz I saw zero. Like any of the main roads in most units you will get a ton of traffic during season. I like the off roads. If I turn in a road and its got 5 trucks with deer stickers in the windows and empty trailers I turn around and go some where else. 88 road goes into some good country but you have to get off the roads otherwise its quad an rino city

Every time someone asks about 24B everyone all ways says the southern portion gets hammered. Because of this, the majority of the hunters have migrated to the north. The area you mentioned has seen a big increase in pressure over the last couple years.

It's a rough butt unit so be ready for that. Go a few canyons over from the nearest road and you'll be all by yourself. And glass, glass, GLASS!

Maybe true on the north getting more now but I went into rogers trough area and it was a zoo back there. Really like hunting at a shooting range. Worst area I have seen in 4 years.

Thank for the information regarding the cameras, I did not know that. Might just take a drive down 88 and take a road and see what happens. Then plan a day trip further south.

Maybe true on the north getting more now but I went into rogers trough area and it was a zoo back there. Really like hunting at a shooting range. Worst area I have seen in 4 years.

That is exactly how it was on the north end this year.

It's like that everywhere now. Way too many tags issued!....er..."hunter opportunity".

• Like 1

Tough unit. I've seen deer in places I would never expect to see deer and then go to a spot I think will be great and see nothing. Tough to get away from the millions of people I always see in this unit without going over some rough, rough terrain on foot.

Why is it illegal to put cams in the wilderness. I've never heard of that???? Are all wilderness areas off limits to cams across the whole state?? Where does it say this is illegal??

You pretty much can't do anything in wilderness. You are supposed to pack out your toilet paper as well but most don't as seen along the trail. I burn mine when I'm in wilderness. I looked into this specifically since I had cams out in wilderness and forest service from 2 sources said its a no no. Abandoned property and they will remove it. I have found many though. We found on on Tuesday as a matter of fact. I called the main office in 2 different districts and both said no cams or stands or anything left unattended. I don't mess with cams but it sucks to see them in there when you know they are not supposed to be there. Wilderness should be untouched wild country not full of cams, blinds, tree stands, garbage from lazy people etc. Yet most have cows running around destroying trees ground, crapping all over heck.

With the limited number of access points in that unit it's tough to get away from the crowds without a serious hike. That unit is rough, but it's all Couse country. Good luck!

Bow or rifle? Either way there are only 40 tags for the December hunt. I've bow hunted it during the December hunt. It's pretty quite. Reeves ranch is a good trail but I always run across white tail hunters who are taking in horses. Get away from the roads anywhere in the unit you can find deer. According to game and fish the success stats for whitetail really haven't changed. But I' have a few friends who are not on this forum who have completely given up on 24 b

24b was a blast this year! Missed a good buck and saw a few big ones.

I dislike hunting opening weekend do to the traffic

• Like 1

24b is like any other unit. It has many great animals in it and is full of possibilities, however because of it being so close to the metropolitan area it gets pounded by hunters as well as recreational people. I have seen many people who given up on it in the recent hunts due to this.