5guyshunting

questionable shots

Fair enough, I am done.

Tools are out there to get it done. Member on here Southernexpress is very knowledgable and he takes the time to help others out.

I love when guys say just plug in the numbers and make the shot in all conditions. So what's the wind doing half way there? What's it doing 100 yards out? How is your trigger pull every time? Ever heard of wind gusts? I'm not saying some guys can't make this a high percentage shot but sounding off like its a slam dunk makes no sense. I have a good friend who has not shot under a mile in several years now and he misses a lot. I have seen him dumbfounded missing by several feet then drilling it on the next 2. Just too many factors to say no problem just plug it in. If you want to do it that's fine just not for me. For this exact reason. I hate to lose and would be sick if this happened to me so I would rather not shoot than have a bad hit. In the end you are killing so if it takes a little longer ya its a bummer but like archery its killing one way or the other. I hear this a lot, just so you know I practice all the time at ranges waaaay further than this so then I shot oops missed at 749 yrds so made adjustment to the slam dunk calculator and missed again oh I see its this click and I dropped him. Or missed altogether. Just not my cup of tea. Nothing wrong if someone wants to shoot that far just my opinion. I do looove long range at targets just not animals. I love that you stood up on this with your thoughts 5 guys. I am sure you are still bummed but it must be a ton better to have him down and then a double good deal there.

• Like 2

Tool are out there to get it done. Member on here Southernexpress is very knowledgable and he takes the time to help others out.

I appreciate the link, thanks. This is one of about 12 deer kills . I have several other rifles and I am not new to hunting. I posted this just to make the point and circumstances of a questionable shot. I succeeded in recovering the animal luckily without it being buzzard meat. Thanks

• Like 1

People take bad shots every day of the season. Whether they get excited, rush the shot or take a shot which they just can't make. I've known people who just walk away and don't follow up. I'm not saying it's ok. I'm just saying it's nothing new.

I say NO to butt shots though.

• Like 1

People take bad shots every day of the season. Whether they get excited, rush the shot or take a shot which they just can't make. I've known people who just walk away and don't follow up. I'm not saying it's ok. I'm just saying it's nothing new.

I say NO to butt shots though.

if you know where to hold....a texas heart shot is 100% effective.
  • Like 2

Two dead bucks, looks like a success to me. Don't get all bent out of shape about what other people say on here. If long range hunting isn't for them then oh well, doesn't mean you have to feel bad for doing it. We successfully took four bucks this year with the shortest distance being mine at 505 yards, the other three were at 540, 650 and 720. Don't let anyone tell you how to eat your pie, it's yours, dig in. The animal was recovered and didn't go to waste, congrats on your deer.

• Like 5

Here is my opinion.

I am not sure how the wind got you, probably underestimation. But, it anchored the deer for you to be able to get another shot, and finish the job. The deer was found and dispatched. It looks like it would have been a lethal shot eventually, and I am glad you located it and completed the job as quickly as you could. I do not think a 700 yard shot is out of the question for those that practice routinely at those, and further, distances. But, we have a responsibility to the game we hunt to make the kill as quickly and humanely as possible.

I have seen perfectly shot game go a long distance and a long time before expiring. I have also seen game hit poorly, which died quickly, due to shock to the system. I would not sweat the shot, use this as an example for the future and practice more for next year. When you are used to shooting at 1K+, it makes the 700s seem easy.

Personally, I limit my long range shots to when the wind is very calm to still. If it is windy, I shorten the shots to no more than 500 yards, depending on the rifle and game I am shooting at.

Nice bucks, and I see some good eating in your future.

• Like 1

I missed a 116 inch 4 point that my brother ended up killing the next day at a 150 yards 7 times once. I had a bad case of the fever that day. Crap happens. Could have wounded him on any one of those shots. I've seen far more mess ups under 300 yards in the field than over 500. Glad you got him and he didn't have to suffer anymore.

• Like 1

I missed a 116 inch 4 point that my brother ended up killing the next day at a 150 yards 7 times once. I had a bad case of the fever that day. Crap happens. Could have wounded him on any one of those shots. I've seen far more mess ups under 300 yards in the field than over 500. Glad you got him and he didn't have to suffer anymore.

I think I would kick my own butt if I did that. Sorry to hear, but yeah, it happens. The Fever gets you.