Sign in to follow this  
joelbiltz

First coues is a stud!!! 103 4/8

Well here he is. Casey (Firstcoueswas80) and I were able to put the smack down on this outstanding coues buck on my first day of hunting. I am on cloud nine to say the least. Our day started off glassing a group of eight bucks including two 80 plus shooter bucks. This being my first rifle coues deer hunt I would have been happy with any 80 inch buck. Not being able to pinpoint where the two big bucks went after they fed into a canyon we decided to go look at another area. Well long story short There were hunters in all of Caseys areas he wanted to check out so we headed to one last spot he wanted to look at. After about ten minutes Casey glasses up three deer on a distant saddle and as I was looking to find those deer I glassed up the rear end of a deer sticking out of a misqute tree. After a minute of watching he raised his head enough to tell he was a buck but still could not tell how big. We decided he was at least 80 inches so we ranged him at 760 yards. We headed down the canyon to a rock pile that put us exactly 610 yards away from the buck. Casey and his friend Jim got in the glasses while I built a solid shooting platform out of rocks and jackets. For the next two hours we watche'd the buck in the mesquite tree but never offered a shot. I was getting hot and thirsty so Jim offered to go get my pack and water. I then decided to redo my shooting play form and as soon as I tore it down Casey informed me the buck was up. Jim raced back and they both got the buck in their glasses and told me to take him when I could. I rechecked the yardage on my G7 BR2 and it said 610 with a corrected to 597. I dialed my turret to 600 settled the crosshairs, checked my anti cant level and slowly squeezed the trigger until it broke. Next thing I hear is Casey and Jim saying he is down you dumped him. I racked another round in and got back into the scope just to be sure but he never moved.

As we walked up to this magnificent buck this was only the second time in my hunting career where I whitnessed ground growage. I could not believe my eyes as we approched my buck. He was a outstanding coues deer buck that grosses 103 4/8 with under 1.5 inches of deductions he just may make B&C minimum.

I can't thank Casey and Jim enough for their hospitality and taking me on this hunt.

Rifle info is as follows

Gunwerks LR 1000 7MM LRM

Berger Hybrid 180

G7 Nightforce G7 5.5-22x50

Atlas bipod

G7 BR2 rangefinder

Zeiss conquest 15x56. (Outstanding Binos for the money BTW)

Here is the rock pile I shot from. Barrel is pointing towards where the deer was shot

D0C0D84C-B828-4BA3-94DC-FDFA79AC31A6_zps

Here is the happy hunter after the pack out

52A5249C-D255-4D90-A9B8-FA5E67DB46C4_zps

And here is my beautiful coues buck

EB5116EC-C42D-4D01-A481-EE525A0D97EC_zps

Edited by joelbiltz (Yesterday at 05:14 PM)

Gunwerks LR 1000 7mm LRM. G7 Nightforce 5.5-22x50

Gunwerks Built 358 WSSM. G7 Nightforce 2.5-10x42

• Like 5

Sweet Buck! Congrats!