STOMP442

The Left Over Luck Buck

First I have to Say Thanks to my good friend Paul for getting us into a great area and making this all possible and also a BIG thanks to my brother Trent for helping out on my hunt.

Due to some conflicting schedules we were not able to make it out until Thursday evening so we got a late start on the hunt. We Left my place right at 3pm right in the middle of that storm that was moving through the Southern part of the State. The Weather man said it was supposed to break by 4pm and we were counting on that so we didn't have to set camp in the rain. Well for once the Weather man was right on the money and as we pulled into our unit the rain had lightened and the clouds began to break. When we got to our unloading area the rain had ceased and blue sky was peaking through the clouds. As we unloaded the quads and packed our gear we joked that we could possibly see a good buck on our way up the trail into camp. Turn out that's exactly what happened,luck was on our side as we were busting through the brushy bottom of a steep canyon we see deer flagging up the mountain. Paul puts glass on them and immediately says "good buck, the last one is a good buck!" So I bail off the quad and scramble to get my gun out of the scabbard and loaded and to our amazement the buck stopped to look back at us. I asked Trent to call a range as none of us had time to get any of our gear unpacked and he says "dial 300....No 250" I make the adjustment to the scope and take a quick free hand shot. Paul Says "hes hit but hes still moving to the right". I chamber another round and try to steady my nerves and as the buck steps out from behind some bear grass I let another one fly and drop him in his tracks. My hunt was over as soon as it began. My first shot just grazed the bucks back, he was stunned and hurting but I just didn't sever the connection. The second shot was perfect and severed the neck right in front of the shoulders. After the buck was down and our celebration had ended I dug out my range finder and ranged the deer at 257 Yards. Pretty good guess big brother.

post-4525-0-77593900-1417831620_thumb.jpg

post-4525-0-05884200-1417831630_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Hahaha!! It is so funny how that happens sometimes. Nice buck man!

Very nice! Congratulations! :)

TJ

What would you do without that brother of yours?! LOL

Congrats on the buck!

Did you whack'em with the .250?

Jeff

Nope whacked em with the 6.5-06 Ackley Improved. I built this gun for the long shot and turns out we didn't really need it but it worked quite well.