Sign in to follow this  
naturegirl

What's eating this?

Found this one on the ground. I thought maybe a rodent eating it like corn on the cob...lol

post-5072-0-37445400-1418943366_thumb.jpg

Found this one off the ground about 1.5-2 feet in another area. As much as I'm always checking things out, I'm surprised I've never seen (or noticed) this before.

post-5072-0-08113300-1418943405_thumb.jpg

My guess would be deer.

1st one looks like jackrabbit. I've also seen cattle munch on pear pads like that. 2nd looks like a deer with his antlers.

I watched a herd of mule deer all stop and munch on that kind of cactus. As for what it looks like when they are done eating it, I'm not sure. But they definitely eat it.

I honestly thought deer on the 2nd one too because of the height. I've just never seen them eating this cactus before. Typically it's cholla berries they are looking for in this area since it's filled with them.

Thanks RSCHAUMB I was specifically wondering if anyone has seen a deer eat this type of cactus. It's a new one to me.

Maybe Javalina.

I thought that, but it seemed a little higher up than where they normally eat. They are usually messier eaters too leaving a mess all over and this wasn't the case.

• Like 1