100%DIYazCOUES

need advice please!

This evening I shot a buck.he went down but got back up and stumbled a little ways before bedding down behind some brush.I watched him do the head nod for a bit,then he laid his head down and didn't move for about 5 minutes so I figured he was down for good and backed out and around the cliff I was on and by the time I got to where I thought he was it was dark and I couldn't find him and didn't find blood.its very possible I simply looked in the wrong spot,but myqquestion is what do I do now? Should I glass the hillside in the morning just in case I wounded him and he's moving,then hopefully I can finish him off.I feel horrible that he might be wounded or at least moved off,and any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Go back to where you shot from in the morning with a friend and two radios and guide him into where the deer bedded down. By the time you got there today, you likely were looking for your buck in the wrong spot. He is probably still down behind the same brush!

• Like 4

With these temps, the meat will be fine. I would exhaust every effort looking for him under the assumption he's dead. I agree with rounding up friends, manpower could be very helpful I you don't find him quick. Sounds like a dead buck to me. Good luck

• Like 2

I had the same senerio this year on a mule deer hunt. I went back the next morning and was lucky to glass him up in about ten minutes. Rifle not archery, done deal the next morning. Good luck !

I agree with what kidso said. Find the exact spot and he is most likely there. If there is no blood to follow, get to work, you only have 2 day's left :) Don't beat yourself up over what could have been.

It was rifle.man I hope you guys are right. I agree he sure did look down for the count but crazier things have happened... He's the biggest buck I've ever shot,but that doesn't matter to me nearly as much as hopefully making sure he's not wounded.just the thought makes me cringe.

I'm with what these guys said. Be sure to take a nice careful look mañana before having your buddy move in.

What part of the state are you in?

that's why its critical that you take a gps cords from your location at the time of shot . it will help -even in the dark to get a better idea of where the deer was located .

most have the terrain topo and you can place a pin on your best guess where he was last located. its worked for me before!

way to easy to get turned around in the dark - heck I've know guys been off their spot during a lot hunts - pinpointing a spot and finding it can cause problems for anyone

keep us posted and hope you have little trouble finding a deer to tag after first light !

how long a shot was it anyway?

I always take a pic of the spot i shot from so i can reference it on my phone when solo.