lancetkenyon

Fried Raven

So my brother and I went up north to start the scouting for antelope this year, as I think I have a legitimate chance of drawing a tag this year. We got a late start, but with antelope not being a nocturnal animal like deer and elk, I didn't see that as too much of a problem. Plus I got to sleep in a bit.

So we get up to the northern unit, and were seeing a few antelope, but nothing to put on the hit list. We were glassing close to the truck, and looking across a lot of real estate. We had seen a ton of ravens (or crows, whatever), and they were all around. We had been glassing in one spot for a couple hours, and decided to move to a different location. We parked near a small power line and got out and set up the tripods, as we had seen some goats in the distance. We had been there about 15 minutes, and were about 100 yards away from the truck parked by the pole. We were glassing intently when we heard what sounded like a firecracker go off, and then a thud, back near the truck. Scared the crap out of me, as I thought someone snuck up behind us with a .22LR.

We looked at each other like "WTF was THAT???" I think that was even said. We walked back to the truck to see what it was, and this is what we found.....

20150110_095409_zps7d98f412.jpg

It appears the raven landed on the lines above to feast on a small bird (unknown if the small bird had had the same fate, or was caught by the raven). When the raven landed on the wire, he apparently landed with feet on separate lines, either two phases, or a hot and neutral, or hot and ground. Well, it did not end well for the raven.

He still had a small bird leg firmly in his beak at time of death.

20150110_095417_zpsa2fb4123.jpg

20150110_095922_zps4000bd01.jpg

When he made the circuit connection, it blew off both of his legs.

20150110_095502_zps06856d6f.jpg

You can see the burns on the foot.

20150110_095424_zps4c2ec86d.jpg

The other foot. He was "throwing me the double bird".

20150110_095943_zpsfe96f020.jpg

Hard to see, but there is a smaller bird carcass still in the lines. It looks like it blew up too.

20150110_095708_zps1871f956.jpg

Still flexible

20150110_095539_zps9a063fe7.jpg

I did find a nice antelope to put as #2 on my hit list for the year later in the day. Now all I have to do is get a tag.....

• Like 1

Haha that's funny stuff. . Also the bucks may not have grown their horns back completely yet so may be hard to find a big one. I know they drop their sheathes in november/December but not sure how long it takes to grow back.

Crazy. I believe that is a crow. Straight beak? I believe Ravens are bigger with a curved beak, but don't quote me on that.

Ravens fly, crows die is describing one is legal to shoot and one is a protected species I believe as well. I know people who hunt crows when nothing else is happening.

Thats a lot of voltage going through a little body. Bet it scared the crap out of you guys.

Haha that's funny stuff. . Also the bucks may not have grown their horns back completely yet so may be hard to find a big one. I know they drop their sheathes in november/December but not sure how long it takes to grow back.

Boy, I hope so! Because I saw a beauty already.

Being a Patriots fan I expected this to be something different. That's crazy tho

Here I thought it was going to be about someone trying to cook n eat ravens.

• Like 1

Wow, that's crazy! Best of luck on the antelope draw!