Sign in to follow this  
stanley

OLD Winchester Found!

Cool story! My youngest son shot a dove last year a leaned his black 20 guage against a tree, then went to retrieve his first dove. The next hour or more was taken to find the shotgun. ;)

• Like 1

Sounds like a good place to hunt if it took that long for someone to find it. If that were here it would be picked up in a week.

Awesome story.

My Dad left my .270 Win against a tree about 8-10 years ago. When I picked him up, he forgot it, and we were back at camp 10 miles away before I noticed it was not in the truck. When I asked him, it is one of the very few times I have heard him cuss. It was still there at first light the next day.

• Like 1

That is very cool! If only that Winchester could talk!

My dad has an old 300 savage that spent several years in a similar state in the woods near Gardner, MT.

Maybe the story will eventually come out. Winchester stopped production in 1919 or so. Who knows how long it's been there. Probably 50 years or so.

I, Hatchet Jack, being of sound mind and broke legs, do hereby leaveth my bear rifle to whatever finds it. It is a good rifle, and killt the bear that killt me. Anyway, I am dead. Yours truly, Hatchet Jack.

Love that movie. But you left part of that note out....about "Lord hope it to be a......"

My other favorite quote was when JJ woke up on fire, and the Bear Claw said, "Didn't put enough dirt down. I saw it right off", then rolls back over and goes to sleep.

• Like 1

I, Hatchet Jack, being of sound mind and broke legs, do hereby leaveth my bear rifle to whatever finds it. It is a good rifle, and killt the bear that killt me. Anyway, I am dead. Yours truly, Hatchet Jack.

Love that movie. But you left part of that note out....about "Lord hope it to be a......"

My other favorite quote was when JJ woke up on fire, and the Bear Claw said, "Didn't put enough dirt down. I saw it right off", then rolls back over and goes to sleep.

That is one of our family favorites.....Saw it right off.....great movie

just wondering that if that gun had been leaning on that tre for over a hundred years don't you think the tree would have grown around the gun.I wonder if the gun was laying on the ground and as the tree grew it lifted up the gun to a leaning position.Just wondering.

just wondering that if that gun had been leaning on that tre for over a hundred years don't you think the tree would have grown around the gun.I wonder if the gun was laying on the ground and as the tree grew it lifted up the gun to a leaning position.Just wondering.

Exactly! Everyone seems to be assuming that particular tree was there 100+ years ago and the rifle was laid against it! My bet is that rifle was on the ground or buried even and then lifted up with the tree over the last 10-20 years. What an amazing find that would be tho! JIM>

That is one of our family favorites.....Saw it right off.....great movie

Yep, good movie. The book, "Mountain Man" is even better.