Sign in to follow this  
Zeke-BE

Kaibab ?

Hey guys I've never hunted the Bab, but I'm really wanting to in the future. How many points does it usually take to do the early hunt? Also how many points does it take for the Archery hunt? I thought Ill try this and just get the left over tag so I can still hunt that year. Any info would be great!!

I hunted it the first time last summer. I think I drew the tag on my 2nd try (archery hunt in August). It's beautiful country and we saw a lot of nice bucks before season, but it gets pretty crowded. Areas that you think are out of the way & pretty secluded before the season can end up being quite popular during the season. This happened to my #1 & #2 spots. I'd suggest going up there during the hunt even if you don't draw the tag so you can see where the concentrations of people are. At least that way you'll know where the people are going to be when you do draw the tag.

Also, we saw travel trailers set-up 2 weeks before season that were still there all through the deer hunt. Didn't look like they'd moved an inch. I don't believe the forest circus enforces the camping limit too strictly and people are very definitely claiming areas early.

Don't believe all the stories about there being a giant deer in every meadow. We hunted hard for six days and came home without letting one arrow fly. I had the opportunity to kill a spike on the first day, but obviously you don't do that on 'the bab'. It's not at all a freebie. All in all, my hunting partner & I are already talking about giving it another go in the future now that we know more about it.

• Like 2

p.s. if you're going to do the archer hunt, make sure you buy a turkey tag! Those things really are everywhere up there. ;)

I have drawn back-to-back Kaibab tags in the past, and also waited 8 years between tags. My last two rifle hunts I drew early season Kaibab tags in 2012 and 2014. All depends on how lucky you are in the random draw.

• Like 3

My guess would be on average for a resident that you will get the archery tag every 1 to 3 years and the early rifle tag every 4 to 7 years. I'm just guessing but this should be close to how long it takes. If you're lucky, then you could draw it more often than what I mentioned, and less often if you're unlucky. Good luck.

Early hunt is alright if you like Small bucks, lots of hunters, and a long drive to your unit.

That's what I feared.

I hunted the archery 2011, 12, and 13 with just my hunter ed point each year. (didn't apply in 2014 because of elk hunt) Phenomenal hunting with plenty of mature bucks to be had if you find an area you can hike into with no roads (or no longer any passable roads).

I hunted the archery 2011, 12, and 13 with just my hunter ed point each year. (didn't apply in 2014 because of elk hunt) Phenomenal hunting with plenty of mature bucks to be had if you find an area you can hike into with no roads (or no longer any passable roads).

Would you say if I did just that, that I could put stalks on bucks daily if I'm not chasing big deer? I'll go for little bucks, but bigger than forkers with my bow. If it was a rifle hunt I would wait it out. I haven't got anything that big yet in your avatar, so I'm ok working my way up with bucks and put a few more under the belt. :)

With loyalty and hunter ed points I've drawn the archery tag every time I've put in, but I think it's getting tougher and tougher to draw since it became an a draw hunt.