Sign in to follow this  
azhuntnut

Building my 6.5 Creedmoor chassis

Late last year I got a new chambered barrel certificate in trade from another member and thought I would just change out one of my rem700 rifles. But then I thought why not just build a rifle I really wanted. I visited the gunsmith in Prescott called Classic Barrel and Gunworks. He specializes in cut rifled barrels. While we were talking he mentioned that he built some custom hybrid actions years ago.

The outer part of the action is Rem700 and insides are Win70. He only made 24, but said he sold them all. I said I was looking for a left hand eject and he stated he had one left hand eject remaining of the group. He assumed I wanted a right hand when we first spoke. I think I remember it being lucky number 13.

So I'm trying to build this rifle as light as possible, and still get everything I want. I ordered an Eliseo chassis a couple months ago and it should be completed mid March. I prefer the forearm on this chassis since it is similar to my AR I shoot a lot, plus you can use AR butt stock and grips. It also comes with a 20 moa rail machined into it. The pic I have included shows a right hand configuration, but mine will be on the correct side.

http://www.gotxring.com/hunting/

I went with a #3 sporter contour 20 inch barrel. I found a great article about a guy that cut his Creedmoor barrel down and didn't loose much velocity. This should reduce some weight and still shoot good. The twist rate will be 1/8.5. I decided on a 4 port muzzle brake to help with recoil.

http://www.muzzlebrakesandmore.com/Ported_Muzzle_Brakes.php

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2013/07/16/6-5-creedmoor-barrel-length-and-muzzle-velocity/

There weren't many choices for a trigger, so I went with the Jewell HVR with safety in the trigger gaurd and it will work left or right eject.

The chassis uses a magazine and after a lot of research I found Alpha Industries makes a very good mag that allows you to load out to 2.965. This will allow me to load the Berger VLD's long. Its a double stack with a single feed.

http://www.alphaindmfg.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=51

I also found a cool butt stock made by Luther-AR that is lightweight and ambidextrous.

http://www.luth-ar.com/the-mba-modular-buttstock-assembly/

I already have a Nikon Monarch 5-24 power with the fine crosshairs and small dot in the middle. I haven't decided if I'm going to order the bullet drop turrets.

I have already been loading for the Creedmoor for a while since I have an AR-10 in this caliber and I really like it. Brass is inexpensive and easy to find. I just want to upgrade my dies. I will add more pics as I get the parts. I have done some initial weight calculations, and it should be right around 9 pounds. It will be pleasant to shoot. David

post-561-0-98185900-1421987402_thumb.jpg

post-561-0-50735400-1421987466_thumb.jpg

post-561-0-45997900-1421987610_thumb.jpg

post-561-0-96356800-1421987688_thumb.jpg

post-561-0-48878700-1421987726_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I scored my Jewell HVR trigger with bottom safety from Bruno's the other day. The safety can be switched to either side for left or right hand shooters. David

post-561-0-09584900-1422321977_thumb.jpg

Finally got my chassis. I am very impressed with the workmanship and finish. Just waiting on my action and barrel that is supposed to be finished this week. David

post-561-0-00211700-1428552917_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I got my new stock in the mail the other day so I thought I would throw on while I'm still waiting for the action just to how how it looks and feels. This stock is normally built for an AR, but my chassis was built to allow any type of AR stock to fit on it. It has an adjustable cheek height and length of pull. It only weighs 1.26 pounds. A lot lighter than other adjustable stocks on the market. David

post-561-0-05126800-1432859003_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

After running into several issues during my build, it is finally finished. I found out late into the build that my custom action wouldn't fit into my chassis without a lot of machining inside the chassis. I chose to switch to a Xtreme Machining action and it was a perfect fit. I had the action chambered to fit 140 Vld's out to 2.960 coal. My smith did a little work to the action so the bullets would chamber without any hang-ups. He also profiled the chassis to match the action port. It weighed in at 11 pounds with scope. Of course I used one of our LOC JAWS to mount it to my tripod. David

When I was at my gunsmith's shop, I had the opportunity to watch him cut rifle a barrel. He is only one of a handful left in the country cut rifling barrels. He uses a Pratt and Whitney machine that was built in 1899. He told me that back in the mid 1890's there were 100 of these machines running in a room at Springfield Armory.

post-561-0-97038500-1444607398_thumb.jpg

post-561-0-10664700-1444607421_thumb.jpg

post-561-0-08294700-1444607435_thumb.jpg

post-561-0-25052500-1444607456_thumb.jpg

post-561-0-88480000-1444607469_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Serious question here, because I've seen a bunch of builds like that. Why build a bolt action rifle to look a lot/exactly like a AR15 style rifle?

Serious question here, because I've seen a bunch of builds like that. Why build a bolt action rifle to look a lot/exactly like a AR15 style rifle?

Familiarity.

Component availability.

Very modular and easy to change parts if desired.

Adjustability.

Ergonomics.

Looks badass.

• Like 2

The modular design is the real benefit of a chassis system. It is not about the appearance of an AR, but the ability to utilize the multitude of AR parts.

Casey, I have been hunting with a custom built AR 243wssm for the last 5 years and wanted to build something that was close in design. My new gun is only 1 pound less and 1 inch shorter. Plus the advantage to this chassis is how the action is secured. Besides the 2 action bolts in the bottom, this also has 4 brass threaded inserts that bolt against the action making it very strong. It also uses a round recoil lug instead of just the bottom lug like normal action. This also makes it stronger. Lance also covered the other reasons for this type of set up. A lot of competition shooters are switching to an Eliseo chassis.

My gunsmith is Dan Pedersen. He owns Classic barrel and Gunworks in Prescott, plus he is also an instructor at the Yavapai college where he teaches gunsmithing.

I haven't had a chance to shoot it since I forgot my scope mounting tools at home when I headed up north. Gonna try to get out tomorrow and start breaking it in. David

I got a chance to run out today and try a few loads. I stopped by Goatsie's house to pick him up and we loaded 15 rounds up real quick and headed out. I used brand new Nosler brass with no case prep. The first target I shot dead center on the first shot and second was touching. The hits above center I think were from barrel heat or the barrel was touching my sand bag. This was 11-15th rounds out of the gun. The second target was 21-25. There are 5 shots and 1 was inside of another hole. I'm was using 130 vld's loaded .0011 off the lands. My coal was 2.959. I'm gonna load up some more within a grain or two of my last shots.

I just recently switched to Wilson seating and neck dies to improve my reloads. It was kind of cool to just seat the bullets in the case using my hand. My 21st Century Arbor press showed up in my mailbox this evening. David

post-561-0-73846900-1445312165_thumb.jpg

post-561-0-19656300-1445312185_thumb.jpg