jgraffaz

Is this legal?!?

I would have shot that buck myself had it crossed my path while javelina hunting! Meat in the freezer and jerky in the pantry.

• Like 6

Never refer to me as a liberal hahah I would of shot it my self... not trying to get anyone busted or anything, I just had a genuine question

Regs specify antlered deer. Those look like antlers to me.

That's true but the question is are they shedable?
Of course they are. They are a hard antler, so they are dead and will be shed, to be replaced with a new set this summer. I wonder if that was a 1.5 year old buck with bad genetics, or a 6 month old button buck?

This does bring up a very interesting question though....is a cactus buck a legal deer to shoot? They stay in velvet year round and NEVER shed their antlers again.

What does G&F consider "fully erupted from the skin"? Velvet is technically skin, so are early archery season bucks technically illegal deer too?

• Like 1

Regs specify antlered deer. Those look like antlers to me.

That's true but the question is are they shedable?
Of course they are. They are a hard antler, so they are dead and will be shed, to be replaced with a new set this summer. I wonder if that was a 1.5 year old buck with bad genetics, or a 6 month old button buck?

This does bring up a very interesting question though....is a cactus buck a legal deer to shoot? They stay in velvet year round and NEVER shed their antlers again.

What does G&F consider "fully erupted from the skin"? Velvet is technically skin, so are early archery season bucks technically illegal deer too?

That's a great question. Just hope Shawn Wagner isn't the warden you run into when you shoot that cactus buck. He has a tendency to interpret the rules as he sees fit.

• Like 4

Well, if your friend entered the deer contest ... we have a winner for the Smallest Buck category! :)

Ernesto C

• Like 2

Was that from 36b by chance

no....why?

Is it one you were watching?
Yep, probably on someone's hit list.
  • Like 1

Thats a pretty nice December 31st buck, lol! Seriously, I consider any buck taken with a bow a trophy.

The late Wes Bramhall, one of the founders of the Record Desert Whitetail Club, made a bolo tie from a tiny three-point Coues whitetail shed he found somewhere. I always wanted one like it.

Bill Quimby

• Like 2