MuggyMan

15x56 binocs vs spotting scope?

I'm wanting to add optics. I currently have some Vortex Viper 10x42 binocs that I'm really pleased with. Now considering adding 15x56 binocs or a spotting scope. Thoughts on which way to go? Also, what minimum do you recommend for magnification and objective lens on spotting scope?

I am opposite of most in this post. I have owned Swaro 15's 3 different times, and all 3 times I could not talk myself into using them more than my 10x swaros on a tripod. Brighter, with a much crisper picture and a larger field of view. I use my spotter every day I am out to evaluate the bucks I find. I assure you that if you can only tell it is a buck with 10x, the 15's will not help much. Having a spotter comes in handy for this. I only look thru it once I have found the buck, and some days it might be for only a minute or 2, but that is where it earns it's keep. My 2 cents.

• Like 1

15's on a tripod! I struggled with the same question many years ago and I wish I had gone the bino route. My friend can sit and glass for hours with his 15's, I need to rest my eyes on a regular basis. He finds sheep long before I pick them up and though I might have a slightly better view when I pick them up he's already looking for others.

• Like 1

I will vote for 15's. I sold my old spotting scope. It was no fun to look through for extended periods and I am not much of a trophy hunter where I need to evaluate bucks at long distance. On the other hand, I am often shocked when I look at my watch and see how much time I have spent looking through my Kaibabs on a tripod. It is fun even if you aren't hunting.

I'd recommend you acquire both. No such thing as too many optics.

Your questions about spotters: I'd suggest you get a scope with the largest objective you are willing to carry in your pack. Most scopes have variable magnification eyepieces these days so you'll have no issue in that regard. IMO, 65 mm is a minimum for a spotter.

• Like 1