Well I finally purchased some 270 dies and after a quick look at lymens reloading book I purchased some IMR 4064. IMR 4064 was on the list of powders for 130 bullets. Well after some bullet research and a friends recommendation I purchased berger 270 vld 130 gr bullets. Well when I got home I was looking at the reloading book. The only bullets lymen has for 130 gr are the jacketed SBT. After contacting a friend who has a berger book, contacting berger and doing some internet research. IMR 4064 is not on the list. Ive seen on the internet that a lot of guys use IMR 4064 with 150 gr bullets in the 270 and 308. Should I just scrap the IMR 4064 and purchase some new powder? Big thanks to berger bullets. I emailed berger last night around 11 pm and received a response by the time I woke up at 7 am. Very impressed. Anyone shoot the vld 130 gr using the IMR 4064? Is there a difference between a jacketed SBT and the VLD? thanks for your time guys.

No bullet manufacture could ever list all of the possible powders that could be a successful combination with their bullet. There is a good chance that the IMR 4064 could shoot very well through your rifle. If you match and compare several different manuals, you will find that bullets of a similar weight tend to use powders in very similar quantities. If I were you I would pick the middle powder weight recommendation from Lymen for the IMR 4064 and use that with the Bergers as a starting point to work up a load.

• Like 1

From Hodgdon's website. First line is data from the Hornady 130SP. Start low and work up. The berger is most likely a longer bullet which will effect your internal case capacity. The 135 sierra data might be more accurate.

Manufacturer
Powder
Bullet Diam.
C.O.L.
Grs.
Vel. (ft/s)
Pressure
Grs.
Vel. (ft/s)
Pressure
IMR
IMR 4064
.277"
3.180"
43,100 CUP
50,000 CUP
BULLET WEIGHT135 GR. SIE BT
Starting Loads
Maximum Loads
Manufacturer
Powder
Bullet Diam.
C.O.L.
Grs.
Vel. (ft/s)
Pressure
Grs.
Vel. (ft/s)
Pressure
IMR
IMR 4064
.277"
3.340"
44,500 CUP
50,700 CUP
  • Like 1

Imr 4064 works great in the .270. 47.5gr is max load for my rifle showing slightly flattened primers but shoots great with the 130 berger or sierra game king.

Some similar loads. Use them at your discretion.

http://www.reloadersnest.com/frontpage.asp?CaliberID=39

http://www.reloadersnest.com/unverified_detail.asp?CaliberID=39&ID=5602

http://www.reloadersnest.com/unverified_detail.asp?CaliberID=39&ID=7323

IMR 4064 burn rate is pretty fast, right in between Varget and IMR 4320. Kind of fast for a .270 130gr. bullet, but it is a very accurate powder. Start low, and work your way up slowly. I am sure it will do just fine.

• Like 1

I would have thought 4064 was a little fast for the 270, but it's a great powder. Very accurate in 3 different calibers I use it for. Seems like 4350 would be a good start for 130s. I'm about to start working up a load for my 270 myself. I have everything layed out now, just need to get to it.

4064 is a go to powder for a lot of people in the 06. It works great there it should work great for the 270 and it does. I have found that 54-55gr of H4350 and a 130gr bullet really works well in the 270 as well but I have used 4064 in the past with great success as well.

4064 works good with light bullets in 6.5x55, mid range bullets in 30-06 and heavy bullets in my 375 JDJ carbine, so I guess it shouldn't surprise me that it works well with a 130 in the 270.

Give it a shot and let us know the results:)

• Like 1

Jerry one thing that i experienced recently with the imr powders is that they tend to be temp sensitive, It took an extra shot on carls elk the high that day was 22 degrees and snow he shot low. and at our last match i shot low by almost 2 full moa. When we worked our loads it was october 20 to 30 degrees warmer. that may come in to play on a december hunt and just something to be aware of not a deal breaker