Sign in to follow this  
CJNAZ

Watch your boots!! Wear your chaps.......

I've only killed one, and only because it was in the masonry block pallets on a jobsite and we injured it trying to get it out and moved. If we hadn't injured it, I would have moved it and let it live. Had to be pulled out of the pallets to keep workers from getting whacked.

Way I figure it, if one strikes at you, you did something wrong. They don't bite just for the heck of it ... their venom is used for hunting/food primarily. They just don't want to be messed with. I've moved plenty of them off of trails or out of areas where I am working/playing. Not difficult, though it pisses 'em off pretty good. Good pair of snake chaps or guards is critical in Arizona. Keeps you safe in the thick stuff where you can't see ... keeps the thorns and barbs out too.

• Like 3

I've only killed one, and only because it was in the masonry block pallets on a jobsite and we injured it trying to get it out and moved. If we hadn't injured it, I would have moved it and let it live. Had to be pulled out of the pallets to keep workers from getting whacked.

Way I figure it, if one strikes at you, you did something wrong. They don't bite just for the heck of it ... their venom is used for hunting/food primarily. They just don't want to be messed with. I've moved plenty of them off of trails or out of areas where I am working/playing. Not difficult, though it pisses 'em off pretty good. Good pair of snake chaps or guards is critical in Arizona. Keeps you safe in the thick stuff where you can't see ... keeps the thorns and barbs out too.

A few years ago while on the October deer hunt I sat down under a shade tree to eat lunch. It wasn't very tall grass and I checked before I sat. About 30 minutes after sitting something got my on the wrist. I first thought I put my hand in a cactus then turned around to see a rattle snake not rattling just staring at me after I got bit. Not sure what I did wrong, I agree he didn't strike for the heck of it he was protecting himself/home but I couldn't really have avoided it

I have stepped on many rattlesnakes and have never been bitten. There is a really good study done by a park biologist who worked in the White tanks using a prosthetic leg. He would use it to "step" on the rattlesnakes and the almost never bite. Any good pair of boots would protect you in the highly unlikely event of that happening.

My bro hopped up on a boulder while taking pics of a javelina we killed yesterday and there was a 2' dback curled up on the rock a foot away. Didn't rattle at all. He was moving pretty slow as it was still cool. Tried to see if he would rattle and he didnt. He ended up without a head for it.

Why would you kill it for not rattling?

I usually let them go if they rattle. I've heard that we are evolving rattlers to not rattle as we kill the ones that rattle and probably walk by 5 that don't for every one that does. The way I look at it if they rattle they're trying to avoid a confrontation the same way I am. If they don't rattle I kill them.

^^^ that is definitely not true. First line of defense for a rattlesnake is to not rattle and hope to go unseen. Different species have different temperaments but there is absolutely nothing that suggests they are evolving not to rattle more than they do or don't already.

I guess I have a really hard time grasping how we all pretty much "love the outdoors" <<<<<<paraphrasing most people interests, and kill something that just lives out there because we don't understand it.

A few years ago while on the October deer hunt I sat down under a shade tree to eat lunch. It wasn't very tall grass and I checked before I sat. About 30 minutes after sitting something got my on the wrist. I first thought I put my hand in a cactus then turned around to see a rattle snake not rattling just staring at me after I got bit. Not sure what I did wrong, I agree he didn't strike for the heck of it he was protecting himself/home but I couldn't really have avoided it

How bad was the bite?

• Like 1