Sign in to follow this  
southernxpress

new toy, what to build..?

So I'm always looking for a new project and swaping guns back and forth... I picked up another action to play w that needs a bit of love still. So just for fun I figured I would see what interests other people in a new build mainly talking caliber... I pose this question too in case some day I decide I need a new project and then this one becomes available for someone else to enjoy. So if this one was to be sold what would you guys be looking for in a custom rifle, what caliber on a short action (if u want to mention stocks and barrel contours as well (all opions are welcome)?

post-8703-0-19687700-1424663574_thumb.jpg

(Action still needs to be cleaned up, it just barely got pulled apart)

Assuming a .473" bolt face I'd do a .260 AI with a 21" fluted 8 twist Lilja on a remington LVSF dupe.

It would be throated for 130 grain bergers.

The stock would be a mcmillan new remington hunter swirled blue/med grey/white 50/30/20 ratio.

Also it would wear leupold dual dovetail rings/bases and have a leupold mark 4 LR 3.5-10x40 scope with the tmr reticle.

Now.....I probably wouldn't build on that particular dogleg action but a standard 700 I would.

Oh and the action and barrel would be a bead blasted stainless steel.

I think you should build another 6.5 of some sort, 6.5 Creedmoor, .260, 6.5x47 or something else. I really like the 6.5s due to the mild recoil, great bullet selection, high b.c. and they are easy to load for. A McMillan stock would be great. Are Remington 700 parts interchangeable with that action? How does it compare to the 700 action? What are you thinking about building? Are you going to do a hunting weight rifle or a heavy bench gun? Have fun with the build!

I'd do a 7-08 Ackley Improved, 1-8" twist, #3 Rock tube, finished at 23" throated for 162 Amax. Stick it in a McMillan Edge Classic, top it with a VX3 4.5-14 with some M1's and start slaying - This rig will be about 8 pounds all up -

• Like 2

This action is the Remington 600 (Mohawk) its a great little action its a little shorter than a 700 short action and they left a little extra metal on it in a few places making it a little stiffer action. Parts are a little different from the 700 with many similarities. I already have a couple other projects too, just recently picked up a couple Remington Model 7's to play with as well, so many ideas are welcome here. The bolt face on this one is in the .308 family, but the Model 7's are the .223 family (which one of them I already opened up to the .308 family and put a M16 style extractor in it).

I like the 6.5 family, I'v played with quite a few of them lately and even like the straight .284 has crossed my mind (the 7-08AI looks interesting as well). I personally like kind of a mid-weight rifle so that when its time to shoot the rifle will just sit there, but I know everyone else doesn't like to carry the extra weight, but I'm curious to see what other people like too.

I already played with the trigger and its down to a nice 1.5 pounds, which for me is fine.. for others that's probably too light to hunt with.

Keep the ideas rolling! Thanks for the input so far!

260 Ackley or 250 savage Ackley are hard to beat in a short action. 26" barrel to maximize potential in a standard magnum contour like a Shilen #4 all set in a beautiful walnut stock.

• Like 1

One of those model 7's that are .378" boltface just screams 6×45 to me.

One of my favorites -

Shooting 75's at 2,900+ burning 26 grains of powder is awesome..grin....

Or, shooting 105 VLD's at 2,500+ with 24 grains of powder is fun too -

I'm getting ready to do a 280AI also... whenever the barrel shows up. I'm hearing lots of AI's mentioned. That 6x45 I haven't looked at that one in a while. I keep toying with the idea of building a pistol with a 16" barrel on one of the Model 7's just for kicks.. but haven't got that far yet.

try this one. .284 winchester. walks off and leaves the others mentioned. should work well in a mowhawk action. if the bolt is for an '06 sized head, it will work also. just bought a pre 64 model 70 fwt .243 from this site. thinking about rebarrelling it in the .284. always wanted one. Lark.

Well a couple of these I was thinking about a little but figured they would better served with an extended mag box so as not to loose powder space for a bigger bullet being stuffed inside. I check the 600 action as well as the Model 7's and they don't have the extra length to be milled out like the regular short action does... so you are stuck with factory box length. So if I was to consider like the 7-08AI or the .284 either of those I think would do better being able to seat them out a bit farther for like a 162 grain bullet rather than stuff most of it in the case, but since I'm restricted to factory box length it makes them a little less appealing now (I guess I need to find a regular ol short action now that I can modify :) )