Flash

Suggestions on San Diego

I would like to try a little ocean fishing while in San Diego in a few weeks. I did a little online searching and for 1 1/2 or 3/4 day trip, it looks like you can go on a big boat with lots of people or pay more and do a small group thing. I was hoping someone here has had some experience on the short day fishing over there and could give me some ideas on what I should be considering. Also some sites say March is general poor fishing off of the SD coast, anyone fish this timeframe before? Thanks in advance.

My favorite landings are Point Loma and HM Landing. Pick a weekend that will be warm and you will be fine. I try to schedule for during the week that way there is less people on the boat. Take cash. Rock fishing is a good way to start, you will get hooked (no pun intended) and it does not take a great ocean fishing skill set. After you go ocean fishing, freshwater fishing feels like you are fishing for bait.

Seaforth Sportfishing has good boats and parking is way easier. Boats are getting yellowtail on short trips right now. I recommend going to all the landings sites and looking at fish counts.

What's your experience and what tackle do you have? That will make a dig fence on what you'll want to choose. I have friends fishing the saltwater bass tourneys that are always on top of the inshore stuff.

Landings are point loma, fishermans landing, H&M, Seaforth, etc. Even with a good bite going on, you'll have no trouble getting on a boat this time of year. Fred hall show is coming up too, be fun to time it to go to the show and some charters offer deals at the show. Show one day, fishing the next.

What kind of gear do you need for day trips?

What kind of gear do you need for day trips?

The #1 outfit should be something that can handle 20lb line with a good drag. On a day trip, I like to have 15,20,30 to start with.

Depends on type of trip, species and size.

The rental tackle almost always sucks though. So keep that in mind. If you can borrow from a buddy your better off. Talking to the landings will be key to see what they are doing and what you need.

for half and three quarter day ttrips I would take a bass rod and rent a yellowtail rig. 12 lb on the bass rig.

seaforth is way better for short trips because of parking.

if you really want to make it a memorable experience go on the day-at-th-docks sunday. not much fishing goes on but it can be fun for newbies.

lee

A good 12lb bass rod is an excellent suggestion if they are fishing the kelp beds for calicos, etc. The Outer Limits out of Seaforth is a great boat and a friend of mine works on it.

As BigLakeJake said parking is way better. To me just the parking at the other landings can agitate me before the trip, it's a nightmare sometimes. They being said, it's kind of cool to check out those other landings while your down there. Go into each one, check out the pictures and tackle, etc.

Www.outerlimit.net check them out and the other Seaforth boats. They run local trips in winter I believe. I'm going on a 2 day charter with them in the summer.

lots of great info stated above.. I started fishing on the New Seaforth out of Seaforth Landing. Half Day trips are good to get your line wet and learn a few things, Rock fish just opened up and the bite is good, plus 2014 was epic for fishing in the big pond and it looks like it hasn't slowed

Looks like the 1/2 days are catching rockfish and the 3/4 days are catching yellowtail and some rockfish. Just call the landing and talk to them, they can make suggestions on exactly what to bring. For Rock fish you'll be fishing 8-16oz of weight more than likely, so you'll have to pick some up down their and rent a rod.