rossislider

Spearfishing in Rocky Point???

Years ago when I was a teenager my family used to make a couple of trips a year down to Rocky Point. One of my favorite things to do while there was to wade and snorkel through the shallow water around the beach where we stayed (Playa Bonita) and spear fish for small fish and sting rays with my Hawaiian sling. In my grown up years I haven't been able to go nearly as often, mostly because my wife is petrified of going into Mexico. When we last went, 10 years ago, I was unable to find any fish or sting rays and the water was really cloudy. Well, after lots of begging and pleading, I have convinced my wife to take a trip down there with our children in the very near future. My question is:

Are the beaches of Rocky Point still good for spear fishing? I don't know if my last experience, 10 years ago, was a one off or perhaps a result of the increased tourist population in Rocky Point. I'm thinking about picking up a Hawaiian sling and teaching my son, but don't want to waste the money if the fish aren't there.

Thanks

I go a few times a year deep sea fishing out of Cholla Bay and last year or year before, I tried spear fishing. The ocean was pretty rough that day, so we did not go deep sea fishing, instead caught sea trout from shore and I attempted to spear some fish. I ended up shooting a sting ray, but was kinda perplexed and what to do after I shot it, thank god it got off the spear. LOL. A few years back, we caught a few flounder from shore, and that was my intended target fish, but I did not see any. The ocean was pretty clear despite it being a rougher ocean weather day.

Hey were going may first staying at Las palomas if you guys go then hit me up.

Definitely going deep sea fishing, already made arrangements thanks to another member on here. It will be my sons first time on the ocean and deep sea fishing. Where did you guys who fish from shore fish from, just along the beach or a specific location? What kind of gear and bait?

I go to Rocky Point several times each year. Spearfishing is great from the shore around rock piles and reefs, or over sandy areas for rays and flounders. You probably had cloudy water on your trip due to extreme tides centered around a full or new moon which really moves the ocean water around and stirs up the sand and mud from the estuaries. Go during a 1st or 3rd quarter moon and the ocean sometimes takes on the appearance of a sea of glass! I am embellishing my description just a bit, but the tides in Rocky Point have everything to do with the clarity of the water. Have fun, and do not worry!

• Like 1

I go 3-4 times a year with my family now, prior to wife and kids 5-6 a year and this was way before Sandy Beach became over run with high rises. Any place just behind competition hill (this is the hill you race up & down with quads and buggies) in the rocky area while the tide is coming in will produce tons of rays, trigger fish, parrot fish, sea trout and puffer fish. Just be careful while walking in the rocks toward the deeper water, I have seen a lot of poisonous rock and scorpion fish. Be sure and post pics.

• Like 2

I remember camping on the Beach at Playa Encanto for two bucks a night!

I remember camping on the Beach at Playa Encanto for two bucks a night!

We now have a house in Playa Encanto, by far the best beach up an down that area.Even though the beach is lined with gorgeous houses, it is absolutely vacant with people, trash and peddlers. I hate going to California and Florida beaches, maybe I'm becoming an old fuddy-duddy and hate being around that many people.

• Like 1

Shooter, how big are the Puffers?

The ones we would catch from shore were anywhere from 7-8", just remember when cleaning these fish you can die from the poison if you clean them incorrectly. The trigger fish are an absolute blast to catch, those fish put up an awesome fight on light tackle, be curious to see what they do when speared.

I'm looking to go down there for the first time ever. Any particular sites I should visit to research for the trip. I want to fish from shore, possibly bring my Kayak and probably charter a boat one day. Shore fishing for corvina, triggers, flounder, etc will be my main goal. I'm trying to get a few people together.

I'd love to get a place that I can just walk from down to the beach or rocks to fish.

Been wanting to do this for a while.

Thanks

Probably cleaned a couple of thousand puffers growing up on Long Island. They will tear up your fingers if you clean a few dozen and they are one of the best tasting fish that swim.

We would typically catch them on the incoming tide and a big one would be about 11". I did buy some at the fish market in Rocky Point about 14 years ago but that was the last time I ate them.

We would roll them in flour and pan fry them in butter.