Sign in to follow this  
PelaPapas

In need of some Javelina recipes!!!

We are having a company potluck next week and I want to take something different this time :).

Anybody have any good "BBQ pulled pork" recipes they could share? I myself have never made "pulled pork" from javelina. It mostly all goes to Jerky. So this would be my first time making it in the crock pot (I Dont't want to scare anyone from eating wild game hahaha).

Any suggestions are appreciated...

A friend of mine has a great recipe. Dig a pit and get some mesquite coals nice and hot. Wrap the critter in foil. Cover the pit with dirt and leave it there forever. Go to Albertsons and buy some nice pork chops to do on the grill. Works every time.

• Like 5

A friend of mine has a great recipe. Dig a pit and get some mesquite coals nice and hot. Wrap the critter in foil. Cover the pit with dirt and leave it there forever. Go to Albertsons and buy some nice pork chops to do on the grill. Works every time.

Haha I've heard very similar recipes!

Get a bag of dried red hot chiles. Boil then for x amount of time. then puree in a blender. season to taste. then mix shredded javi with it. Serve over buttered white rice. It's similar to the red sauce for tamales made by my wife. If confusing ask a hispanic friend.

Or crock it with half elk or deer and smother it in a hot bbq sauce.

Or thin cut and batter and quick pan fry it with potatoes and gravy.

I know everything there is to know 'bout the javelina cooking.

If you don't get that reference shame on you...

• Like 1

Thats a good one, no need to gut or skin.

• Like 2

Never tried this but I hear it's a good way to cook those Javi's!

1. Nail meet to a board.

2. Light board and meet on fire.

3 Take out of fire.

4. Throw meet away and eat the board!

Let us know how it goes!

• Like 2

Get a bag of dried red hot chiles. Boil then for x amount of time. then puree in a blender. season to taste. then mix shredded javi with it. Serve over buttered white rice. It's similar to the red sauce for tamales made by my wife. If confusing ask a hispanic friend.

Sounds good!

I am wanting to go the crock pot route. Any specific spices/ingredients/sauces you like to use or recommend?

Sawbuck - That sounds tempting, I like my food well done! B)

Actually, Az Game and Fish has a BBQ Javelina recipe on their website. Just Google search it and you'll find it.

post-10954-0-17181400-1426204947.jpg

• Like 1

Try this:

2 cans of Rotel (I like one hot and one regular)

One big yellow onion

4-8 garlic cloves crushed or finely chopped

3# trimmed meat

Dump it all in a crock pot, fill with enough water to cover the meat, and cook on high 6-8 hours. Then strain off the liquid, shred the meat with a couple of forks, and add whatever amount of BBQ sauce seems right. I like about 1 1/2 small bottles of Sweet Baby Rays original - seems to compliment the Rotel and onion. Serve on quality hamburger buns.

• Like 2

Buy a package of pork fat (Ranch Market) a yellow onion and a few cloves of garlic. Put 1 layer of pork fat in the bottom of your crock pot. Stab javelina roast portions (about 2 lbs) with garlic cloves, then layer on top of pork fat. Coarse dice the onion and layer on meat. Add another layer of pork fat. Add a cup of chicken or beef broth. Cook on low 5 hrs. Separate meat and let cool. You can vacuum seal it for later or shread and add favorite bbq sauce (Honey Bears!) or make green chili with it. Either way its awesome!

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions! I made a batch of pulled "pork yesterday and it came out perfect! So good that I was trying to decide if I should keep it for myself instead of taking it to work! Thanks again to everyone!

Crock Pot recipes are good but I find a Crock Pot gets too hot so use a dutch oven so I can control the temp better and just put it in the oven.

Sounds good!

I am wanting to go the crock pot route. Any specific spices/ingredients/sauces you like to use or recommend?

Bone out Javi. soak in ice/water and continue changing water and ice till water runs clear of blood. Put in crockpot with onions pepper and salt to taste. BUT also sprinkle thyme on it as well before cooking. This seems to take away some of the gamey/musky flavor if there is any. Cook until tender, usually over night. Add a cup of wildflower honey, and BBQ sauce of wanted. Sweet Baby Rays is the only sauce I use. I have used this recipe for years and it's not to bad. Tastes alot like BBQ pork and I have had others agree. GOOD LUCK

I use about 10-20% pork roast with my Javelina. So, 5lb pork roast with a mature Javelina. I make a breakfast or Italian or green chili sausage for breakfast burros. It is great! I always skin the pig in the field and shoot the stripe! Too far behind the shoulder only places projectiles in the intestines. By the next day the skinned pig has little odor opposite of what most say.

Base recipe is 2 TBS Garlic power, 2 TBS onion powder, 2 TBS season salt, 1/4- 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1 TBS chili powder, 2 TBS Black Pepper, tsp sage to taste.

Add 16 to 32 oz. of frozen chopped green chilies and 2-3 TBS crushed red peppers to the base breakfast sausage above.

Add 1TBS Italian seasoning to taste for Italian sausage.

We have found the key to mixing the ingredients is to mix thoroughly and cook/taste test the recipe before freezing and packaging.