joelpresmyk8

Such a shame what shed hunting as come to

Just got back from a 12 mile hike with my 7 year old son. It sure was sad and hard to explain why we had to walk so far to get to the sheds just to see 2 quads tearing up everything closed. Both had antlers we found 0. Very disgusted about what horn hunting has come to.

It's just like archery deer season. Nobody draws tags anymore so this is what they do. It's extremely frustrating. I don't go anymore. Every truck in town has a 4 wheeler in the back covered in mud a month and a half before Bulls even start to drop. Instead of waiting an picking up 20 horns now 20 people race to 1 horn . Other states have seasons on it. It's headed that direction and I agree social media has a lot to do with it. It's a look at me contest.

• Like 3

The unit we hunt has had some steady enforcement for the past three years. They have helicopters and airplanes up then radio in the ground troops. They have been writing tickets. It has had an effect. Many fewer guys running quads or bikes cross country. There are still a few but unless the "authorities" catch them red handed nothing will be done

Thursday 7:30 am my wife and I are walking down a ridge to good feeding area and I could hear a 4stroke putting just below us and I ran down to the bottom to catch a look at him on a yellow dirt bike with a brown antler strapped on his back riding right through the meadow. I yelled but he wouldn't look at me i hope he pushes his luck and keeps going like that because for the second time in two weeks we had a sheriffs helicopter buzz us Today in the same area. I appricaite those guys out flying over country side on a Sunday morning. People will eventually get what they deserve.

• Like 1

Nothing worse than putting in hard hours on your feet to be upset by an idiot on wheels. But just as hunting during the fall, it's inevitable, road hunters, rule benders and for lack of better words (lazy a**holes) will always be there taking shortcuts and while they may find success, the sheds I find and the animals I kill in the areas that their put put's won't get them are that much more of a reward. While It feels good to complain and share communion in all of our hate for these guys... Putting in hard work and enjoying the hunt not the bounty is what it's all about. Let the a**holes be just that, quit whining and go take a hike!! Just keeping it light :)

• Like 5

ya its getting bad in unit 5 to, if a road had logs across it and trees growing in it its clearly not open, a lot of people are so lazy these days, im only 18 and think there are going to be a bunch of laws put into place about it before im 30 that's going to really suck if it happens!! I don't see how its so hard to walk, heck I have to walk more cause of driving a low clearance car.

Lets see some pics. of what some of You guys found. Thanks .......BOB!

it stinks guys but it is what it is. There are laws in place. It doesn't make a difference. People are going todo what they do. Every year i pick up at least 1 shed within 5 yards of quad tracks. They don't get them all and I would put money on the fact that I and anyone else moving slowing through the woods putting their time in get more. Yes it is unfortunate that "sportsman" on quads don't have a problem pressuring the animals that have struggled through the winter. They obviously cant see beyond themselves. If they push animals out of one area change your strategy look at maps get an idea of an adjacent ares with "thick" cover that you think they moved to. The animals are still there. They haven't left the unit and probably have not left a 2 mile radius. Stick at it and when the guy on the quad pulls up while your humping 50lbs of horn on your should back to the truck watch him scratch his head wondering. Guarantee at that point he's gonna try and be your best friend. When he asks my favorite question "where did you find all those" tell him by the the over there. There are plenty of horns out there… old chalk, hard white and brown. It takes a lot of miles, sweat, sunburn, sore feet and legs and many hours to find them. Don't be discouraged by quads. They can help you. You just need to figure out where the animals go when the quads come through.

• Like 1

it stinks guys but it is what it is. There are laws in place. It doesn't make a difference. People are going todo what they do. Every year i pick up at least 1 shed within 5 yards of quad tracks. They don't get them all and I would put money on the fact that I and anyone else moving slowing through the woods putting their time in get more. Yes it is unfortunate that "sportsman" on quads don't have a problem pressuring the animals that have struggled through the winter. They obviously cant see beyond themselves. If they push animals out of one area change your strategy look at maps get an idea of an adjacent ares with "thick" cover that you think they moved to. The animals are still there. They haven't left the unit and probably have not left a 2 mile radius. Stick at it and when the guy on the quad pulls up while your humping 50lbs of horn on your should back to the truck watch him scratch his head wondering. Guarantee at that point he's gonna try and be your best friend. When he asks my favorite question "where did you find all those" tell him by the the over there. There are plenty of horns out there old chalk, hard white and brown. It takes a lot of miles, sweat, sunburn, sore feet and legs and many hours to find them. Don't be discouraged by quads. They can help you. You just need to figure out where the animals go when the quads come through.

Trust me I know exactly what you mean. I'm Not complaining because I'm not finding stuff. My first brown this year was within sight of previously mentioned quad tracks. Just a quick vent on the unfortunate turn in this sport we all share.

• Like 1

Man, that sucks! People will do anything for money. No respect for those antlers or where they came from. Such a shame.

• Like 1

Totally ignorant. Sad that people like that will eventually ruin everything. No respect at all. Will lead to more regs, more closures, etc. Lazy, greedy SOBs.

• Like 1

I feel for you all. It is pretty sad but what is sadder is when it happens during big game season. Five times in the past 20 years I have had deer hunts ruined by hunters driving quads off road hunting. The thing I don't understand is the FS closed good two track roads to my CJ-5 but left them open to quads? Go figure that one out.

Follow the tread lightly and respect the land is my philosophy. I use the roads to get to where I am going and then boots from there on. Would not mind using mules again to pack into the wilderness but can't afford it now.

• Like 1

Its really sad when I pack into the Wilderness areas of the Kaibab where motorized travel is restricted and there are quad tracks all over. I have found several sheds laying on top of their tracks. Then to boot, there is empty cans, and bottles that they toss carelessly. No respect at all !

post-10954-0-51033200-1426522131_thumb.jpg

The early bird doesn't always get the worm- but they can sure screw things up for everyone.

the people whom are doing most of the illegal activity are not going to change - stopping them isn't going to happen any time soon - once a greedy person breaks all the rules and brags to their friends and shows their harvest and what cash it can bring - they are like flies to a pile of dung - they will all want their share - and do anything to get it.

The good old days are gone - we live in a different world - we care for our hunting - fishing- the outdoors , the respect for our heritage and share it with the ones we love and keep it safe and want to try to change the future for better days , but no way it will ever be the same .

For everyone of us-- there are dozens of those who will not respect crap and never will - they do not care what others think

sorry guys -

I'd be willing to bet that a fair share of these people that everyone "hates" and finds "disgusting" are actually completely ignorant to the fact that they are doing anything wrong, especially if the theory that they just recently go into it is correct.

The hunting community is, generally speaking, much more aware of forest/wilderness/game laws than any non-hunting member of the public. In fact, I know a lot of people that do hunt who never bother to crack the binding on a set of regs.

I'm sure there's a couple that just don't care and are out there just trying to piss everyone off, but I have to think that most are just blissfully ignorant and will remain so until someone tells them otherwise or until they get a ticket.