Sign in to follow this  
thunderbolt

dogs

I took out my kids and my two boxers(dogs) this weekend shed hunting and keeping the kids from the TV. What had me worried was the rattlesnakes biting my kids or the dogs. I wasn't too worried about the kids getting bit cause i had them behind me walking in my footsteps. but my dogs really never been out like that in the hills. MY QUESTION.......If one of the dogs gets bit does the dog need to be taken to a vet? a couple of friends of mine said the dog will be ok without seeing a vet, they'll just swell a little and get over it with time. I've been seeing all these great pics of hounds chasing cats and i thought it would be a great question with all the dog handlers around.

Jerry

Whoever told you that the dog will be ok without seeing a vet must have some very tough dogs.

Of course every bite is different, sometimes snakes will strike without injecting venom and the dog might be ok without seeing a vet but if you care about your dog you should take it in asap anyway.

There is a antivenin that you can give your dogs before you take them out but from what I heard it is only good for one type of rattler.

If you are going to take your dogs out regularly it would be worth getting them snake trained. I am sure someone on here either snake trains dogs or knows somebody to connect you with

Snake training is a good solution for dogs if the dog is not stubborn. My dad had his dog snake trained but it did no good. I like to carry a small venom extractor along with me incase my dog or I get bit I can use it on either one of us and we shold be fine to get back to the truck and to get help. I will look and try to find a link to the extractor I have.

It definitely depends on the dog, I had one get bit in the face and her face swelled like a balloon and she started to choke on her saliva, she needed the antivenom, my other dog , a long hair, got bit on the head but she did not need anything and was fine. At 350 bucks a pop I dont think you want to be giving antivenom as a preventative before going out in the field. It is strictly for after bites, it is not like a vaccine.

Christian, I would be interested to see what the effects of your extractor are, I am a foot and ankle surgeon and do see some snake bites and I typically dont recommend them as the studies that we see show they are really about 0-1% effective. Once the poison is in there, its in there, most people just cause more damage by trying to suck it out(in various ways!) or by cutting the fang punctures. There are a surprising amount of dry bites and this may be behind the stated effectiveness of your venom extractor, oh and did they do trials with it using themselves :lol: Dont expect miracles out of your extractor if you ever do get bit I guess, the best treatment is to remove yourself from the field and deposit yourself at the hospital!!! AG

I had a dog that got bit on the leg and I ended up taking her in. She had been snake trained and shes not one to mess with a snake but I think she just ran right past it and she got bit. I didn't realise she got bit until I got her home. After only about a 30 min car ride she didn't want to move and I could tell her leg began to swell.

Snake training is a very, very good idea it could mean the differnce in your dogs life but depending on how that dog is acting, I would probable take it in to the vet.

When I lived in South Texas, a friend's shorthair got bit in the head one time and the rear flank another. She would go off for a week after being bit, but return with a nasty, swollen, festering open wound.

I have had my GWP snake broke (hopefully), and also shock collar reinforced during an archery shoot when a small rattler was located on the trail.

RR

Oops, I guess I said that wrong in my other post. Fatfootdoc is right you wouldn't give the antivenin as a preventative measure. What I was refering to was a vaccine like shot that my dad looked into giving his dog but decided against it cause the vet he was talking to said it was specific to one type of venom only

When I lived in South Texas, a friend's shorthair got bit in the head one time and the rear flank another. She would go off for a week after being bit, but return with a nasty, swollen, festering open wound.

I have had my GWP snake broke (hopefully), and also shock collar reinforced during an archery shoot when a small rattler was located on the trail.

RR

I have had dogs snake bit and have never taken them to a vet and they were fine. But I am not saying that is what you should do, only my experience.

An old time dog man told me that he would just exercise the snake bit dog and that would distribute the venom throughout the dog instead of a local area and he never lost a dog or had any problems. Sounded like it was common where he lived.

Bit on the head causes a lot of swelling and they look sad, but in my experience, has never been fatal.

Neighbor said last night that a couple of dogs died recently from rattler bites here in Flag. She was talking about a vaccine that you give a couple time a year and it extends the time you have to get the dog to the vet if bitten. She heard this as her Sussex Spaniel was at the vet for an ear infection.

RR

my dog would want to play with it! he likes doin that stuff! believe it or not, my dog likes cats, ferrets, rabbits, rats!he plays with em!

I have a friend,"yes I have one, :lol: :lol: " who is currently training a young bird dog. He told me awhile back that him and a few guys had thier dogs vaccined for snake bite somewhere in Carefree I think. It was a series of shots. I'll find out more detail and price tomorrow. He also said you still had to take your dog to the vet if it got bitten. Later!

Here is some info on rattle snake bite. After talking with a friend of mine this morning he said Mike Wiederhold of Rio Verde K-9, who is a dog trainer from Carefree, told him about the vaccine. There is a series of 2 shots which cost around $16 ea. Sounds like a pretty reasonable price to pay.

Gilbert Animal Hospitol, 480-892-1554, Gilbert,AZ

Power Ranch Animal Hospitol, 480-988-6488, Mesa,AZ

I would think any vet would carry it. Oh ya, then you have to repeat just 1 shot every year there after. Thanks again for posting the subject. I think I'll have my dog done.

Here is some info on the vaccine from the website of the company that makes it. I am thinking about getting it for my dog.

"This rattlesnake vaccine was developed to protect against Western Diamondback Rattlesnake venom. It is most effective against this snake's venom.

Venom from many other snakes found throughout the United States is similar to the venom of the Western Diamondback Rattlesnake. Because of these similarities, this vaccine also provides protection against the venoms of the Western Rattlesnake (including the Prairie, Great Basin, Northern and Southern Pacific Rattlesnakes), Sidewinder, Timber Rattlesnake, Massasauga and the Copperhead. This vaccine provides partial protection against the Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake.

This vaccine does not provide protection against the Water Moccasin (Cottonmouth), Mojave Rattlesnake or Coral Snakes. Red Rock Biologics is developing a variety of vaccines to provide the best protection against poisonous snakes for dogs in each part of the country. "

Here is the link: http://www.redrockbiologics.com/FAQ.html

i have never had a dog bit but have herd give them condensed milk and they will get through it. don't hold me to it though.

has anyone else ever herd that, and does it work?