Sign in to follow this  
Chris

Anyone...how to clean off car wax from black plastic?

Get STP brand Son of a Gun protectant. Turns black plastic and rubber products back to original condition without making it wet and greasy like Armor All. Funny because STP owns Armor All. You will be amazed. Works for dirt stained and sun faded plastic and lasts a long time.

Try some WD-40 on an out-of-the way test spot ...

If its wax then it will come off completely by simply using dish washing detergent. If you look at most car polishes and waxes one step for completely cleaning the car before detailing is to use dishwashing detergent.

It looks to me like your plastic is actually faded, If so then try this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008A5GRHM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Carworx Restore

I have an Avalanche and they are notorious for all that plastic fading really badly. This has worked the best, requires 2-3 coats. After the color comes back use the STP which has silicone and UV protectant. For worse case scenario a heat gun will slightly melt the plastic and return the color but you have to take it slow.

• Like 1

I used to detail vehicles. The best way believe it or not is a pencil eraser. Buy one of the block ones and try it out. If you don't have one of those just use a regular pencil eraser. It is much faster than any other way. And no, I am not kidding.

• Like 1

A car wash once got some wax on the black plastic handle of my truck, I used a Clorox clean up wipe and it came right off. But........that was just a little area, you may want to do a little test first. Good luck

Penatrol. Its great on black plastic, wife uses it on the jeep plastic. Blows all the other crap away. By it in the home depot paint department. Try it you'll love it.

• Like 1

If it's faded plastic that needs to be repaired try... Peanut butter. My dad has been using peanut butter on his plastics for a while now with great results. Something about the oils in the PB get the plastic back to black and stays that way after many washes. Rub a little on faded plastic, let it sit for a few minutes, then completely wipe off. Plastics look like new. Just something to try out for yourself if anything else fails.

I tried the peanut butter.... it just covers temporarily.

Thanks for the other ideas!

Someone mentioned a degreaser on youtube..... to remove wax. That seems to make sense. Eraser sounds good, tough for big spots?